How many calories does a swift need in a day?

acebarley

Jun 21, 2024, 2:25:41 PM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to swiftslocalnetwork
Hi,

I am curious to understand how many calories a day Apus Apus needs to consume in day, flying being such an energy consuming activity.

I've looked on the web finding an adult can eats 5000 insects a day. But how to convert this to calories?! A small spider is x., a moth y, a fly z!!!

So I asked ChatGPT4 who did some maths and came up with 10-15kal a day (15kcal being equivalent to 4grams of sugar/a tsp) based on basal metabolic rate  and activity metabolic rate calculations.

In short does this sound correct? Would a common swift be nourished by 10-15kcal a day or a teaspoon equivalent of energy?

Thanks,

Andy

amandakillip

Jun 21, 2024, 4:37:15 PM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to swiftslocalnetwork
Let’s say an adult human is about 1300 times more massive than a swift and needs 2000kcal per day. This means 32g of human per kcal. For a 50g swift that’s 3.3g of swift per kcal for your AI calculations. So 10x the calorie intake for a swift compared to human.   That seems reasonable to me- much larger volume to area ratio, continual activity etc.
I’ve done some serious rounding.
I’m no biologist though!

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts

Jun 22, 2024, 8:32:52 AM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

I don't think Chat GBT is correct  A developing Swift chick needs to consume 15 to 20 grams of food per day. This is insects not sure what the calories would be, maybe it is right, but seems a bit low?

Louise

Watch our livestream Swift Nest in conjunction with the RSPB.

signatureImage