Re: [SLN] Digest for swiftslocalnetwork@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 5 topics

Andrew Barley

Jun 25, 2024, 5:14:20 AM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda and Louise,

Thanks both for replying.

Amanda my maths ended up the same as yours. I thought ten times might be ball park correct but it's still guesswork isn't it. Human for breakfast 2 weetabix, a swift 20! 🤷‍♂️

Louise that's a good solid bit of information. Thank you. I wonder if a growing chick needs more or less than an adult?

Perhaps hummingbirds might be a proxy for swifts though their diet is different they are related and I am sure someone has studied their nutrition.

Thanks both,

Andy
----------

On 22 Jun 2024, at 20:56, swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Nick Brown <nbr...@derbyshirewt.co.uk>: Jun 22 04:59PM

Hi again,

With a week to go before the start of SAW2024, we now have close on 80 events with four new ones in and around Chirk, three in Tayside and one each in Shaftesbury, Stoke Newington and Lancaster!
See the full list: SAW 2024 events - Google Docs<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U8BT0Iw-m9DrJD0YfzX6avEu4xVEgVeu5uvPjKDfiXM/edit> with just the very latest ones in red......

Thanks to everyone who has made the effort and a massive thanks to Jamie Wyver who has worked so hard to get these listed on the RSPB's website.
(I'm already getting queries from it for local events here so it is giving us vastly more exposure than we've ever had before.)

Below is some organisational stuff so if you are not running an event, 'look away now' as they say.....

Some notes for SAW event organisers, especially events involving walks.

1. Please pay some attention to health and safety especially if you have to cross roads. It is worth walking the route beforehand with this specifically in mind,
planning the safest crossing places and looking for potential trip hazards etc.
For walks, having a 'back marker' is good practice. High vis jackets for the leader and back marker would be wise.
It might also be worth having a first aider present or at least knowing where the nearest hospital is for any minor injury such as a twisted ankle.

2. Please ensure that you count the number of folk attending and wait awhile for any late comers before setting off.
If your event is un-booked, have a plan if more people turn up than you expected...eg have a second leader standing by so you can split the group in two.
A short introduction is important - make sure everyone can hear you!
Be sure to say who you are and point out your helpers who ideally should have some badge, tabard or hi-vis clothing.
Tell them what you plan to do and how long you expect it to take.

3. If you don't have them already, try to capture names and email addresses at the end so you can involve attendees with your future swift work.

4. Feedback: why not send a note and photo to your local paper and community magazine about how your event/s went?
And please send some brief feedback (eg numbers attending) direct to me plus a photo if you can: nbr...@derbyshirewt.co.uk<mailto:nbr...@derbyshirewt.co.uk> .

I hope the weather behaves itself and your events all go well!

Best wishes,

Nick
SAW2024 Coordinator
#SwiftAwarenessWeek
amandakillip <amanda...@gmail.com>: Jun 21 01:37PM -0700

Let’s say an adult human is about 1300 times more massive than a swift and
needs 2000kcal per day. This means 32g of human per kcal. For a 50g swift
that’s 3.3g of swift per kcal for your AI calculations. So 10x the calorie
intake for a swift compared to human. That seems reasonable to me- much
larger volume to area ratio, continual activity etc.
I’ve done some serious rounding.
I’m no biologist though!
On Friday, June 21, 2024 at 7:25:41 PM UTC+1 acebarley wrote:

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts <super...@outlook.com>: Jun 22 12:32PM

Hi Andy,

I don't think Chat GBT is correct A developing Swift chick needs to consume 15 to 20 grams of food per day. This is insects not sure what the calories would be, maybe it is right, but seems a bit low?

Louise

Watch our livestream Swift Nest in conjunction with the RSPB.
https://www.youtube.com/live/n6ZSjt9POdk?si=6tpKE2wZYizTyJAO

[signatureImage]