What's happening here? Thoughts please

Nick Bentham-Green

Aug 1, 2023, 5:46:00 AM8/1/23
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
So, x 3 chicks have successfully fledged and flown from this box within the last week.
But now, overnight, I have had this swift in the box. During the day it has flown, and then returned overnight. This has happened for the last 2 or 3 nights.
Any wise thoughts?

Nick
SE Cornwall

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Sent from Outlook for Android
1690842543908.jpg

Carol Collins

Aug 1, 2023, 7:47:20 AM8/1/23
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
When we first had cameras in successful boxes in St. Luke's Church, Kinoulton, I remember being very surprised that, after the chicks had fledged, the adults continued to roost in the box for up to a week.  My memory (which is far from reliable!) is that this happened when the chicks had fledged early (end of July, beginning of August) but not when they were late (end of August/beginning of September).  I think we concluded that those adults which felt they had time to take a well-deserved rest between parenting and migrating did so, whereas those who felt they needed to get on with migration asap left straight away.  Not very scientific but it seemed to explain what we saw!
Carol

Dick Newell

Aug 1, 2023, 7:55:55 AM8/1/23
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
It is not uncommon for adults to stay on after chicks fledge - sometimes for quite a few days.
Dick

On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 at 10:46, Nick Bentham-Green <nickbent...@hotmail.com> wrote:

David Newbrook

Aug 1, 2023, 8:15:09 AM8/1/23
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts are that the adults perhaps remain to defend the nest sites  , especially if the young fledge early and non breeding birds are still around .

Sent from my iPhone