Re: SwiftShader patch

Nicolas Capens

May 19, 2021, 2:46:56 PM5/19/21
to John Stiles, swiftshader, Brian Osman, swiftshader-team

Hi John,

Thanks a ton for discovering this bug and fixing it!

We are in the process of deprecating and removing SwiftShader's OpenGL ES implementation, in favor of our Vulkan implementation. We're using ANGLE to provide OpenGL ES to Vulkan translation, for Chrome and Android's needs (aka. the "SwANGLE" project). Since ANGLE uses glslang and updates it frequently, I think your patch will soon make it to all the places SwANGLE is used.

Regarding the permissions to upload a change to the SwiftShader Git repo, I believe the error message should include instructions on obtaining authentication. If not, please go to https://swiftshader-review.googlesource.com/new-password.

Cheers,
Nicolas

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM John Stiles <johns...@google.com> wrote:
Hi there! I'm on the Skia team, working on SkSL. I recently discovered a very long-standing bug in the GLSL reference compiler (circa 2002) that has managed to propagate to Mesa, glslang, SwiftShader, and several GPU drivers. I'm trying to patch it where I can.

Yesterday I landed a fix in glslang: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glslang/issues/2645
The code in Mesa appears to have been replaced already.
I've got a patch for SwiftShader and it compiles successfully, but I am not set up to run tests locally, and I wasn't able to upload it to Gerrit:

remote: PERMISSION_DENIED: The caller does not have permission
remote: [type.googleapis.com/devtools.gerritcodereview.proto.GerritCodeReviewError]
remote: error_type: PERMISSION_DENIED_BY_GERRIT_ACL

I've attached the patch below. How would you like me to proceed?
Thanks :)