Piksi Multi module not responding

Sampo Simolin

Oct 6, 2020, 10:35:24 AM10/6/20
to swiftnav-discuss

Hello,

I have a Piksi Multi module and I have a need to make a custom image for it (since our application requires Ethernet communication to the device)

Therefore, I have cloned piksi_buildroot repository from github (https://github.com/swift-nav/piksi_buildroot) and build the binary image according to instructions (I didn't modify the source in any way at this point).

After this I started Swift console (v2.3.21) and updated the Piksi Multi with the image build with piksi_buildroot tool. Something went wrong during this update and I can't make any connection to Piksi Multi anymore (I can't remember the output of the Swift Console from this point). Now when the Piksi is on the Evaluation Board only the green POWER led stays constantly on when powered. The other leds on the Piksi stays off all the time.

I have tried to fix the Piksi by updating it with the latest official binary (PiksiMulti-v2.3.19.bin) with every possible way I can think of. I have tried to download the binary to a USB drive and inserted it on the USB port of the Evaluation Board and pressing reset with no success (nothing happens). The system won't also connect to LAN when Ethernet cable is connected to Evaluation Board. I have another working Piksi Multi which works as excepted during the operations mentioned above (Does update from USB drive, is connected to LAN when ethernet cable is connected) with the same Evaluation Board. Therefore, I can confidently say that the Evaluation Board is working properly.

Only way that I can see some signs of life in the broken Piksi is when I try to update the firmware with piksi_tools (https://github.com/swift-nav/piksi_tools) bootload_v3.py script. I executed this script with the following command:

python bootload_v3.py /home/correct/path/PiksiMulti-v1.0.11.bin -p /dev/ttyUSB5 -v

And I see that the RX and TX leds of RS232 1 on the Evaluation Board are flashing properly, but on the terminal I read a lot of  "Host Side Unhandled Byte: (varying byte in hex format)" and "crc mismatch" messages. Eventually the execution ends in an "Exception: Timed out" message in the console with stacktrace. I have read some forum posts about the "Host Side Unhandled byte" message being solved by setting the correct baudrate, but I have tried by adding "-b 115200" to the command and this changes nothing (the 115200 is the correct baudrate for Piksi Multi if I have understood correctly).

Now I'm wondering what could I possibly do to have my Piksi up and running again. Could I have possibly damaged the bootloader of the Piksi by trying to update it with (possibly) faulty binary image? Does anybody know how I could proceed with this problem and get my Piksi working again?

Best Regards,

Sampo