Helix antenna phase center

Tiago Sá

Mar 13, 2019, 4:29:39 PM3/13/19
to swiftnav-discuss
Good afternoon guys, I'm trying to implement Piksi as a solution for precision photogrammetry. Currently my prototype is using a helix antenna (Maxtena m1227hct-a2-sma).

The problem is that I can not find the phase center of this antenna documented anywhere. I need this information to be able to calculate the precise positioning in relation to the focus center of the camera.

Can anyone help me solve this?

Kind regards.

Tiago Sá

jsam...@pobox.com

Mar 13, 2019, 4:48:09 PM3/13/19
to swiftnav...@googlegroups.com, Tiago Sá

On this page, a representative from Maxtenna says to contact them and they will tell you what you need to know:

Page 50 of this PDF mentions phase center of Maxtenna antenna:

In general, does the Maxtenna helix antenna give you good results? What is the price range for those?

Jeff Sampson

Tiago Sá

Mar 13, 2019, 5:04:42 PM3/13/19
to swiftnav-discuss
Thanks for the links jsampson! They're very handy. That's exactly what I needed.

Tiago Sá

Mar 13, 2019, 5:47:46 PM3/13/19
to swiftnav-discuss
Sorry Jeff! I was rude. I got distracted by the links and ended up not observing your question.

This antenna is being sold for $ 150 on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxtena-L1-L2-GPS-GLONASS-Wireless-Active-Antenna-M1227HCT-A2-SMA-GNSS-Satellite/183270537789? hash = item2aabc67a3d: g: kUoAAOSwHf5bAL4O)

It is too early to assess the quality of the antenna, because so far I have not performed accuracy tests. In terms of fix rate I am satisfied (but not impressed) with the results obtained so far (~ 70% fix, sparsely populated urban area, PPK, Piksi at 10hz).

I'm not too worried about phase center variation, as I intend to use the same type of antenna on the base and on the aircraft. Which, in theory, should cancel the negative effects of the variation.

In a month I'll have more comprehensive test results. Feel free to keep in touch if you want to know how it goes.

Kind regards.

Tiago Sá