Whatever happened to open-source Swift?

Jens Alfke

Oct 13, 2015, 2:18:49 PM10/13/15
to Swift Language
IIRC, at WWDC Apple said they’d open-source Swift by the end of September. Apparently that didn’t happen. Does anyone know what the status is, or at least have any good rumors?

—Jens

Ryan Meisters

Oct 13, 2015, 2:23:44 PM10/13/15
to Jens Alfke, Swift Language
+1 — I had the same thought yesterday. developer.apple.com/swift currently says “Later this year Swift will be released as open source.”

-Ryan

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Jens Alfke <je...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

IIRC, at WWDC Apple said they’d open-source Swift by the end of September. Apparently that didn’t happen. Does anyone know what the status is, or at least have any good rumors?

—Jens

Brent Royal-Gordon

Oct 13, 2015, 2:42:42 PM10/13/15
to Jens Alfke, Swift Language
> IIRC, at WWDC Apple said they’d open-source Swift by the end of September. Apparently that didn’t happen. Does anyone know what the status is, or at least have any good rumors?

They didn’t say September, they just said “later this year”.

I believe around the time the Swift 2.1 betas started to appear, I saw an Apple person on Twitter say they’re still working towards open source, but they’re not ready yet. (I don’t know if being “ready” just means tidying up the code before they make it public, or if it means the code base has some hacks from proprietary parts of OS X that they don’t want to give away, or if it just means they need to do a long and painful audit.)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies

Chris Lattner

Oct 16, 2015, 12:58:38 PM10/16/15
to Brent Royal-Gordon, Jens Alfke, Swift Language

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon <br...@architechies.com> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, at WWDC Apple said they’d open-source Swift by the end of September. Apparently that didn’t happen. Does anyone know what the status is, or at least have any good rumors?
>
> They didn’t say September, they just said “later this year”.

Correct. We are still on track for "by the end of 2015" as promised, more details will come out when they can.

-Chris