Ann: Primary git repository moved

Jan Wielemaker

May 1, 2014, 9:37:24 AM5/1/14
to swi-p...@googlegroups.com, Prolog mailing list
Hi,

The primary git repository has been moved from www.swi-prolog.org to
github.com. That means that developers need to push to the github
repository. The repos at www.swi-prolog.org are synchronized three
times per day. What does this mean?

# Update an existing working tree to GitHub

Use the commands below to update a working tree for the development branch.
Use `swipl.git` for the stable series. If you have a GitHub account and
setup
ssh, you can also use `git...@github.com:SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel.git`.

% git remote --set-url origin
https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel.git
% git submodule sync

# Checkout old versions

The submodule locations have changed on April 22, 2014. If you want to
check out an older version, use the repositories at www.swi-prolog.org.
You can use the above commands to switch freely between both sources or
use `git remote add` to add both of them.

Enjoy --- Jan

P.s. This mail is sent to the old and new mailing list.

Michael Hendricks

May 1, 2014, 10:34:30 AM5/1/14
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:37:24 AM UTC-6, Jan Wielemaker wrote:
     % git remote --set-url origin
https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel.git

This was "git remote set-url ..." (no --) for me on git version 1.8.3.2 and 1.9.2

Are GitHub Pull Requests now the preferred way to submit patches?  Or do you still prefer them to be mailed to bu...@swi-prolog.org?

--
Michael

Jan Wielemaker

May 1, 2014, 11:05:17 AM5/1/14
to Michael Hendricks, swi-p...@googlegroups.com, Prolog mailing list
On 05/01/2014 04:34 PM, Michael Hendricks wrote:
> On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:37:24 AM UTC-6, Jan Wielemaker wrote:
>
> % git remote --set-url origin
> https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel.git
> <https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel.git>
>

> This was "git remote set-url ..." (no --) for me on git version 1.8.3.2
> and 1.9.2

Oops, sorry. Fixed on news item.

> Are GitHub Pull Requests now the preferred way to submit patches? Or do
> you still prefer them to be mailed to bu...@swi-prolog.org?

I don't know. So far I didn't use GitHub for anything serious. I guess
I'm happy with all the things I used to be happy with and github pull
requests will be added to the list. My docs at [1] are probably outdated
as these are from the early days of git. Maybe I should simply link to
[2]?

Cheers --- Jan

[1] http://www.swi-prolog.org/howto/SubmitPatch.html
[2] https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests