Prolog Bug - Text masked with black

david.bi...@web.de

Oct 23, 2015, 4:57:08 AM10/23/15
to swi-p...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,
I just downloaded Prolog for an university Course and it worked fine. But since yesterday evening, all the Text is covered/masked with black.
This looks something like this:

and when I mark it, you can see the text behind. I'm not sure what to do about this.. Any help would be great.

Jan Wielemaker

Oct 23, 2015, 11:46:04 AM10/23/15
to david.bi...@web.de, SWI-Prolog
This is the same as
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/swi-prolog/AzKRaSBGUaE
The only work around I see for now is to run the swipl executable that
is also in
the App (open the app's content, navigate to the bin directory and run
that) or
to install Macports or Homebrew versions (that also provide the
commandline version
only). There are also reports that X11 graphics don't work on El
Captain. Not sure
whether this is an issue that holds for all versions for MacOS. Seems
they broke
compatibility rather drastically :(

Cheers --- Jan

On 10/23/15 10:57, david.bi...@web.de wrote:
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JcVeN0i3K3E/Vin1tWaJDyI/AAAAAAAAAAk/JV9rx3qYaoM/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.50.00.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eT7s2po59Zs/Vin1pN2HOnI/AAAAAAAAAAc/c2LQOtsFgUU/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.49.55.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JcVeN0i3K3E/Vin1tWaJDyI/AAAAAAAAAAk/JV9rx3qYaoM/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.50.00.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Mgv4eMdqRpw/Vin1k3y3VCI/AAAAAAAAAAU/DQk9rMIYolo/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.52.29.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eT7s2po59Zs/Vin1pN2HOnI/AAAAAAAAAAc/c2LQOtsFgUU/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.49.55.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uCx1yOFeX3Y/Vin1av5ChOI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Aq2jh67bINE/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.49.36.png>
>
> Hello everyone,
> I just downloaded Prolog for an university Course and it worked fine.
> But since yesterday evening, all the Text is covered/masked with black.
> This looks something like this:
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Mgv4eMdqRpw/Vin1k3y3VCI/AAAAAAAAAAU/DQk9rMIYolo/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.52.29.png>
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uCx1yOFeX3Y/Vin1av5ChOI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Aq2jh67bINE/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-10-23%2Bat%2B10.49.36.png>
>
> and when I mark it, you can see the text behind. I'm not sure what to do
> about this.. Any help would be great.

norbert...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2015, 7:42:45 AM10/24/15
to SWI-Prolog

Jan Wielemaker: Oct 23 05:46PM +0200

This is the same as https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/swi-prolog/AzKRaSBGUaE
The only work around I see for now is to run the swipl executable that is also in the App (open the app's content, navigate to the bin directory and run that) or to install Macports or Homebrew versions (that also provide the
commandline version only). There are also reports that X11 graphics don't work on El Captain. Not sure whether this is an issue that holds for all versions for MacOS. Seems they broke compatibility rather drastically :(

For now, I prefer to return to the commandline version 6.4.1, that – alas – in El Capitan has its own problems with X , as can be seen here:

Last login: Sat Oct 24 13:19:54 on ttys000

vpn-89-206-119-48:~ fuchs$ swipl

% /Users/fuchs/.plrc compiled 0.00 sec, 1 clauses

Welcome to SWI-Prolog (Multi-threaded, 64 bits, Version 6.4.1)

Copyright (c) 1990-2013 University of Amsterdam, VU Amsterdam

SWI-Prolog comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,

and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.

Please visit http://www.swi-prolog.org for details.

For help, use ?- help(Topic). or ?- apropos(Word).

?- apropos(append).

ERROR: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/xpce/prolog/boot/pce_principal.pl:141:

'$open_shared_object'/3: dlopen(/opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/lib/x86_64-darwin11.4.2/pl2xpce.dylib, 1): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXpm.4.dylib

  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/lib/x86_64-darwin11.4.2/pl2xpce.dylib

  Reason: image not found

Warning: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/xpce/prolog/boot/pce_principal.pl:141:

Goal (directive) failed: pce_principal:use_foreign_library(foreign(pl2xpce))

While under Mac OS X Yosemite X11 eventually started in spite of the error messages, under Mac OS X El Capitan it doesn't anymore.

Thus no graphical tracing. Fortunately, tracing in the terminal window still works.

Jan Wielemaker

Oct 24, 2015, 4:01:27 PM10/24/15
to norbert...@gmail.com, SWI-Prolog
On 10/24/15 13:42, norbert...@gmail.com wrote:

> Jan Wielemaker: Oct 23 05:46PM +0200
>
> This is the same
> as https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/swi-prolog/AzKRaSBGUaE
> The only work around I see for now is to run the swipl executable
> that is also in the App (open the app's content, navigate to the bin
> directory and run that) or to install Macports or Homebrew versions
> (that also provide the
> commandline version only). There are also reports that X11 graphics
> don't work on El Captain. Not sure whether this is an issue that
> holds for all versions for MacOS. Seems they broke compatibility
> rather drastically :(
>

> For now, I prefer to return to the commandline version 6.4.1, that –
> alas – in El Capitan has its own problems with X , as can be seen here:28356So far

I think all commandline versions still run fine. Surely there is no
reason to go back that far. El Captain seems to break both Qt and X11.
That
means no gui at all :(. So far, I don't have a clue. I'm mostly in and
out of the office for another week. Then I have a Mac that took 4 hours
to install Yosemite :( Seems we need a plan B to restore support for MacOS.

What is the status wrt. the Macports and Homebrew versions?

Cheers --- Jan

> Last login: Sat Oct 24 13:19:54 on ttys000
>
> vpn-89-206-119-48:~ fuchs$ swipl
>
> % /Users/fuchs/.plrc compiled 0.00 sec, 1 clauses
>
> Welcome to SWI-Prolog (Multi-threaded, 64 bits, Version 6.4.1)
>
> Copyright (c) 1990-2013 University of Amsterdam, VU Amsterdam
>
> SWI-Prolog comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
>
> and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
>
> Please visit http://www.swi-prolog.org for details.
>

> For help, use ?- help(Topic). or ?- apropos(Word).
>

> ?- apropos(append).
>
> *ERROR: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/xpce/prolog/boot/pce_principal.pl:141:*
>
> *'$open_shared_object'/3:
> dlopen(/opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/lib/x86_64-darwin11.4.2/pl2xpce.dylib,
> 1): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXpm.4.dylib*
>
> * Referenced from:
> /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/lib/x86_64-darwin11.4.2/pl2xpce.dylib*
>
> * Reason: image not found*
>
> Warning: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/xpce/prolog/boot/pce_principal.pl:141:
>
> Goal (directive) failed: pce_principal:use_foreign_library(foreign(pl2xpce))

> While under Mac OS X Yosemite X11 eventually started in spite of the
> error messages, under Mac OS X El Capitan it doesn't anymore.
>
> Thus no graphical tracing. Fortunately, tracing in the terminal window
> still works.

Carlo Capelli

Oct 24, 2015, 6:02:57 PM10/24/15
to Jan Wielemaker, norbert...@gmail.com, SWI-Prolog
Jan, could be worth to try to 'refresh' (forcing repaint) the text view with a timer ?

Sorry I cannot propose anything better about such weird Qt problems... maybe the Qt team will address them

I could try to reimplement swipl-win using PLGI + Gtk VTE. Ideally, it could be a tiny Prolog only layer.
But if XPCE is not working, would be useless of course.

From Gtk+ page, seems they support native Quartz display.
I don't know what this actually means, and to be true, even on Ubuntu 14.04 I must face that GNOME components versions are getting old
To compile and install Gtk VTE I had to go back to version 0.34.9, the latest being 0.42.1

Jan Wielemaker

Oct 25, 2015, 4:47:17 PM10/25/15
to Carlo Capelli, norbert...@gmail.com, SWI-Prolog
On 10/25/2015 12:02 AM, Carlo Capelli wrote:
> Jan, could be worth to try to 'refresh' (forcing repaint) the text view
> with a timer ?

I doubt it. Seems to be some problem with the font. I've seen
similar reports about Qt 4 on MacOS, but I use Qt 5.1.

> Sorry I cannot propose anything better about such weird Qt problems...
> maybe the Qt team will address them

One option might be to try a later Qt version. In my experience it
all takes quite a bit of time to setup and get all config issues worked
out :(

> I could try to reimplement swipl-win using PLGI + Gtk VTE. Ideally, it
> could be a tiny Prolog only layer.
> But if XPCE is not working, would be useless of course.

Not sure whether or not that makes sense. Is Gtk a better portability
framework than Qt? The XPCE issue is (I think) and unrelated issue.

> From Gtk+ page, seems they support native Quartz display.

So does Qt, no?

Unsure about the plan. Anyway, I won't have time before next week.
Hopefully there will be reports how to deal with Qt and/or X11 on El
Captain soon.

Cheers --- Jan

> I don't know what this actually means, and to be true, even on Ubuntu
> 14.04 I must face that GNOME components versions are getting old
> To compile and install Gtk VTE I had to go back to version 0.34.9, the
> latest being 0.42.1

> <mailto:J.Wiel...@vu.nl>>:
>
> On 10/24/15 13:42, norbert...@gmail.com
> > Warning: /opt/local/lib/swipl-6.4.1/xpce/prolog/boot/pce_principal.pl:141 <http://pce_principal.pl:141>:
> >
> > Goal (directive) failed: pce_principal:use_foreign_library(foreign(pl2xpce))

> > While under Mac OS X Yosemite X11 eventually started in spite of the
> > error messages, under Mac OS X El Capitan it doesn't anymore.
> >
> > Thus no graphical tracing. Fortunately, tracing in the terminal window
> > still works.
> >
> > --
> <mailto:swi-prolog%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:swi-prolog+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:swi-prolog%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/swi-prolog.

Keri Harris

Oct 26, 2015, 9:31:20 AM10/26/15
to Jan Wielemaker, Carlo Capelli, norbert...@gmail.com, SWI-Prolog

On 25/10/2015 21:47, Jan Wielemaker wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 12:02 AM, Carlo Capelli wrote:
>> Jan, could be worth to try to 'refresh' (forcing repaint) the text view
>> with a timer ?
> I doubt it. Seems to be some problem with the font. I've seen
> similar reports about Qt 4 on MacOS, but I use Qt 5.1.
>
>> Sorry I cannot propose anything better about such weird Qt problems...
>> maybe the Qt team will address them
> One option might be to try a later Qt version. In my experience it
> all takes quite a bit of time to setup and get all config issues worked
> out :(
>
>> I could try to reimplement swipl-win using PLGI + Gtk VTE. Ideally, it
>> could be a tiny Prolog only layer.
>> But if XPCE is not working, would be useless of course.
> Not sure whether or not that makes sense. Is Gtk a better portability
> framework than Qt? The XPCE issue is (I think) and unrelated issue.

Both Qt and GTK+ support the major platforms (Linux, OS X, Windows), but
Qt is probably easier to distribute as it's more monolithic. From an end
user's point of view I prefer GTK+ due to libstdc++, libc++ ABI
incompatibilities when using Qt. For example:

* compiling swipl-win using a different compiler version than that used
to compile Qt can cause breakage at the binary level.

* using swipl-win to run a Prolog program that loads C++ foreign code
can cause runtime failures.

(In Gentoo Linux we deal with these ABI incompatibility issues quite a
bit; Qt has always been a bit of a sore point).

To sum up: Qt makes things a bit easier for the distributer; Gtk+ makes
things a bit easier for the end user. (Whether someone prefers the API
of Qt or GTK+ is much like whether someone prefers vi or emacs - never
let facts get in the way of a strong opinion :-).

Note that this probably doesn't have much to do with the underlying XPCE
issue.

Thanks

Keri

Jan Wielemaker

Oct 26, 2015, 1:26:22 PM10/26/15
to Keri Harris, Carlo Capelli, norbert...@gmail.com, SWI-Prolog
Thanks. The distribution issues seem the most critical here. It is
complicated enough as it is. Users wanting complicated mixtures with
other C++ components hopefully don't mind if they have to compile the
whole lot from scratch ...

> Note that this probably doesn't have much to do with the underlying XPCE
> issue.

Yes, this should be completely unrelated. Qt doesn't use X11 on MacOS
AFAIK.

At this moment we seem to be faced with binary compatibility issues wrt
Qt, X11 and
libreadline on MacOS :( That doesn't give much user experience ... I still
have no feedback in how far the Macports and Homebrew versions are still
working
ok (without the Qt console).

Cheers --- Jan

Paulo Moura

Oct 27, 2015, 7:01:17 AM10/27/15
to SWI-Prolog

> On 26/10/2015, at 17:26, Jan Wielemaker <J.Wiel...@vu.nl> wrote:
> At this moment we seem to be faced with binary compatibility issues wrt Qt, X11 and
> libreadline on MacOS :( That doesn't give much user experience ... I still
> have no feedback in how far the Macports and Homebrew versions are still working
> ok (without the Qt console).

Running Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan). I also get the black hidden text with the GUI .app version that other already reported. But compiling from sources (using the default build script) I get a full system with all packages accounted for (with only the JPL issue I already reported with a workaround at GitHub). I can start and use the X11-based tools without apparent issues (I'm using XQuartz 2.7.8, which seems to be the latest version) but I almost never use them so best feedback from heavy use of these tools. The MacPorts version builds fine but that's not the one I'm currently using as I prefer to run the git version to detect any issues affecting my work timely.

Cheers,

Paulo

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Email: <mailto:pmo...@logtalk.org>
Web: <http://logtalk.org/>

Jan Wielemaker

Oct 27, 2015, 10:28:50 AM10/27/15
to Paulo Moura, SWI-Prolog
On 27-10-15 12:01, Paulo Moura wrote:

>> On 26/10/2015, at 17:26, Jan Wielemaker <J.Wiel...@vu.nl>
>> wrote: ... At this moment we seem to be faced with binary
>> compatibility issues wrt Qt, X11 and libreadline on MacOS :( That
>> doesn't give much user experience ... I still have no feedback in
>> how far the Macports and Homebrew versions are still working ok
>> (without the Qt console).
>
> Running Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan). I also get the black hidden
> text with the GUI .app version that other already reported. But
> compiling from sources (using the default build script) I get a full
> system with all packages accounted for (with only the JPL issue I
> already reported with a workaround at GitHub). I can start and use
> the X11-based tools without apparent issues (I'm using XQuartz 2.7.8,
> which seems to be the latest version) but I almost never use them so
> best feedback from heavy use of these tools. The MacPorts version
> builds fine but that's not the one I'm currently using as I prefer to
> run the git version to detect any issues affecting my work timely.

Thanks. At least there seems to be some way to get some user
experience. Does line editing at the command line work? On some
systems, using <backspace> emits a space. The actual line is edited
as it should, but redisplay doesn't work. No clue what is causing
this. The Terminal app? Library compatibility issues?

Cheers --- Jan