Using JPL to switch between SWI and YAP Prolog

Christos Vlassopoulos

Oct 27, 2015, 10:35:34 AM10/27/15
to SWI-Prolog
Hello,

I am a researcher on Complex Event Recognition and I use Java along with Prolog for my current experiments. More specifically, I have built a Java application that, among other things, uses a Prolog engine to execute queries and perform logical inference. I have been using the new JPL 7 library in order to import a SWI Prolog engine in this Java application.

I would like to repeat my experiments, using YAP Prolog this time, but I am facing difficulties. It is mentioned in YAP Prolog's documentation that YAP Prolog can be used to interact with Java via the JPL library. However, I struggle to find in JPL7's documentation the way of switching from SWI to YAP.

I have spotted a couple of methods, such as
JPL.setNativeLibraryPath(java.lang.String newPath)
or
JPL.setDefaultInitArgs(java.lang.String[] args)
but the accompanying javadoc/documentation is anything but verbose, thus making it difficult for me to understand if these methods are what I need to switch to YAP and how to call them properly.

So, first of all, can I create and use an instance of a YAP engine inside a Java program using JPL 7? If so, can anyone provide some more specific information on how to do it?

Thank you in advance.