LetSWICrypt -- HTTPS Servers with SWI-Prolog and Let's Encrypt

Markus Triska

May 6, 2016, 12:53:10 PM5/6/16
to SWI-Prolog
Hi all,

I have uploaded a document and sample files that show you a few ways to run an HTTPS server with SWI-Prolog, using Let's Encrypt and also other certificate authorities.

Everything is available in a public git repository, and I will update the files and the documentation as the used technologies improve:

    https://github.com/triska/letswicrypt

I hope you find this useful. Programs like SWI-Prolog get more stable and more correct the more they are being used, and so I am very interested in using SWI-Prolog also for secure hosting of web content.

Many thanks to Matt Lilley and Charlie Hothersall-Thomas for their work and advice on library(ssl)!

Thank you Jan for making all this possible in the first place!

Enjoy!

All the best,
Markus

Jan Wielemaker

May 6, 2016, 1:00:27 PM5/6/16
to Markus Triska, SWI-Prolog
Thanks for sorting that out!

Cheers --- Jan

On 05/06/2016 06:53 PM, Markus Triska wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have uploaded a document and sample files that show you a few ways to
> run an HTTPS server with SWI-Prolog, using /Let's Encrypt/ and also
> other certificate authorities.
>
> Everything is available in a public git repository, and I will update
> the files and the documentation as the used technologies improve:
>
> *https://github.com/triska/letswicrypt*
> <https://github.com/triska/letswicrypt>
>
> I hope you find this useful. Programs like SWI-Prolog get more stable
> and more correct the more they are being used, and so I am very
> interested in using SWI-Prolog also for secure hosting of web content.
>
> Many thanks to Matt Lilley and Charlie Hothersall-Thomas for their work
> and advice on library(ssl)!
>
> Thank you Jan for making all this possible in the first place!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> All the best,
> Markus

Wouter Beek

May 6, 2016, 1:08:11 PM5/6/16
to Markus Triska, SWI-Prolog
Hi Markus, Matt, Charlie,

Thank you all for these valuable contributions!  This will be beneficial in many use cases.  E.g., it may be used to make the ClioPatria triple store more secure (admin interface over HTTPS).

@Markus: I like that you apply the same notions of security and correctness that you have already successfully applied elsewhere (constraints) in this area (HTTP communication/interaction) as well.

---
Cheers!,
Wouter.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Markus Triska <tri...@logic.at> wrote:
Hi all,

I have uploaded a document and sample files that show you a few ways to run an HTTPS server with SWI-Prolog, using Let's Encrypt and also other certificate authorities.

Everything is available in a public git repository, and I will update the files and the documentation as the used technologies improve:

    https://github.com/triska/letswicrypt

I hope you find this useful. Programs like SWI-Prolog get more stable and more correct the more they are being used, and so I am very interested in using SWI-Prolog also for secure hosting of web content.

Many thanks to Matt Lilley and Charlie Hothersall-Thomas for their work and advice on library(ssl)!

Thank you Jan for making all this possible in the first place!

Enjoy!

All the best,
Markus

Markus Triska

May 7, 2016, 4:34:58 AM5/7/16
to SWI-Prolog, tri...@logic.at, w.g.j...@vu.nl
Hi Wouter,

many thanks for your encouragement! I hope you find this useful for your web servers, and I'm looking forward to connecting to them via HTTPS!

Working on improving the HTTP infrastructure is fun also because I'm in very good company: In particularly Raivo Laanemets has written a serious of great blog posts that also discuss robustness and correctness of web servers.

One item that is holding back serious deployment of SWI web servers is:

It sounds trivial, but as pointed out by Raivo in https://rlaanemets.com/post/show/status-update-12-2015, this leads to a lot of unexpected issues.

To seriously test the HTTP infrastructure and make it scalable, https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/packages-http/issues/43 must also be fixed.

All the best!
Markus