Bugs: discontinue Bugzilla in favour of GitHub issues?

Jan Wielemaker

May 1, 2014, 10:07:41 AM5/1/14
to swi-p...@googlegroups.com
After replacing the mailing list and git location, it is time to consider another outdated service: the Bugzilla powered
bug tracking.  The clear alternative is to use the GitHub issue tracking system.  Is that a good idea?  The only
disadvantage I can see is that the issue tracking system is per repository and people thus have to think about
the component about which to report an issue.  A possible way to improve on that is to provide a page with
user oriented descriptions of the type of problem and link on where to report them.

Opinions?

       Cheers --- Jan

Michael Hendricks

May 1, 2014, 10:43:48 AM5/1/14
to swi-p...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:07:41 AM UTC-6, Jan Wielemaker wrote:
After replacing the mailing list and git location, it is time to consider another outdated service: the Bugzilla powered
bug tracking.  The clear alternative is to use the GitHub issue tracking system.  Is that a good idea?

I prefer GitHub's issue tracker over Bugzilla.

The only
disadvantage I can see is that the issue tracking system is per repository and people thus have to think about
the component about which to report an issue.  A possible way to improve on that is to provide a page with
user oriented descriptions of the type of problem and link on where to report them.

I've seen some projects that set up an "Issues" project with an empty repository.  All issues are reported through that project and issues are disabled on all other projects.  It might work here too.

--
Michael

Michael Richter

May 1, 2014, 11:22:29 AM5/1/14
to Michael Hendricks, swi-p...@googlegroups.com
There's another issue with using Github's issue tracker.  You need a Github account to use it.

"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people. It's not been about our revenue or profit or whatnot."

Jan Wielemaker

May 1, 2014, 2:34:39 PM5/1/14
to Michael Richter, Michael Hendricks, swi-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

On 05/01/2014 05:22 PM, Michael Richter wrote:
> There's another issue with using Github's issue tracker. You need a
> Github account to use it.

True. But you also need an account for the old Bugzilla server. Many
developers already have an account on Github, so it is one account less
for them. For those that really do not want, there is still the (new)

I've updated the bug reporting links on the website, following the
other Michael's suggesting to make an `issues' repository. We'll
see how things work out. The main problem I see is that there are
no fields for version, platform, etc. On the other hand, this
information was quite often not filled out correctly anyway.

Cheers --- Jan