Mime types of video files

Pasi Xyy

May 23, 2015, 1:50:46 PM5/23/15
to swi-p...@googlegroups.com
I made a prolog code that can upload a video  to Youtube. It seems that I need to do a hook mime:mime_extension/2 for the usual video file formats.

I think Swi-Prolog should know more mime types. Maybe it should read them from operating system? Windows has them in registry, don't know about Linux's or others.

Jan Wielemaker

May 25, 2015, 4:22:35 AM5/25/15
to Pasi Xyy, swi-p...@googlegroups.com
I think both nginx (sure) and Apache (?) manage their own list of
types. The Windows registry mostly defines what the Windows explorer
should do with them. Various desktop environments of Linux have
something similar. It is non-trivial. The same extension can
represent different media types.

A clear advantage of doing it ourselves is that we can guarantee that
the application runs cross-platform. For short, I think we should, at
least for now, stick to the current approach. Of course, the list is
rather limited, so feel free to propose extensions.

Cheers --- Jan