Side-by-side v6 & v7 on Windows

Paul Singleton

Nov 14, 2016, 1:25:15 PM11/14/16
to SWI-Prolog
Hi Jan

I have 64-bit Windows 10 Pro with 6.6.6 and 7.3.29 installed to

C:\swipl-6.x
C:\swipl-7.x

and the global environment contains (for legacy purposes)

SWI_HOME_DIR=C:\swipl-6.x
PATH=...;%SWI_HOME_DIR%;...

When I run

C:\swipl-7.x\bin\swipl-win.exe

I get

SWI-Prolog
[FATAL ERROR: at ...
Saved state has incompatible save version]

I have (clunky) workarounds for using v7 in PDT and Windows services, but expected the v7 swipl-win.exe to find its own installation: am I missing something?

cheers - Paul

Jan Wielemaker

Nov 14, 2016, 1:35:25 PM11/14/16
to Paul Singleton, SWI-Prolog
Hi Paul,

On 11/14/2016 07:25 PM, Paul Singleton wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> I have 64-bit Windows 10 Pro with 6.6.6 and 7.3.29 installed to
>

> C:\swipl-6.x
> |

> C:\swipl-7.x
> |

> and the global environment contains (for legacy purposes)
>

> SWI_HOME_DIR=C:\swipl-6.x
> |

> PATH=...;%SWI_HOME_DIR%;...
> |

> When I run
>

> C:\swipl-7.x\bin\swipl-win.exe
> |

> I get
>

> SWI-Prolog
> |

> [FATAL ERROR:at ...
> |

> Savedstate has incompatible save version]
> |

> I have (clunky) workarounds for using v7 in PDT and Windows services,
> but expected the v7 swipl-win.exe to find its own installation: am I
> missing something?

Well, basically Prolog tries to find its components from the location
of the executable (on Windows). Setting SWI_HOME_DIR overrules this
process. So yes, you are telling 7.x to use the 6.x installation.
That won't work. You should either make sure SWI_HOME_DIR points
at the right location or remove it and use other means. Embedded
Prolog normally finds the system by finding the absolute path to
libswipl.dll.

Cheers --- Jan