CLP(B): Examples and lecture material

Markus Triska

Dec 16, 2015, 3:24:51 PM12/16/15
to SWI-Prolog
Hi all,

I have uploaded a set of CLP(B) examples at:

Also included is a shortened version of the library documentation, usable as supplementary lecture material for Prolog courses:

Boolean constraints are very useful for introducing many important CLP concepts: Many students are already familiar with Boolean logic at the time they take Prolog courses, and at the same time they have no preconceived notions on how to express Boolean constraints in Prolog. Since the available, outdated Prolog books typically contain only little or no treatment of Boolean constraints, the existing literature is also not as misguiding as it is in the case of integer constraints.

My main motivation for adding CLP(B) constraints to SWI-Prolog is facilitating ports of cTI and GUPU (which uses cTI for termination analysis) to a free Prolog system. There are many nice opportunities for student projects in these areas. Contact me if you are interested!

The CLP(B) implementation of SWI-Prolog provides several unique features (counting solutions, optimization etc.) that are not yet available in other Prolog systems. I recommend to advertise such features of SWI-Prolog more prominently on its web page. I will present the system at FLOPS 2016 in Kochi and am looking forward to meeting some of you there.

I hope you enjoy this.

All the best,
Markus