July Weekday Walk!

Heather Bayles

Jul 11, 2012, 7:41:45 PM7/11/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
July Weekday Walk - July 17
This month's walk is in celebration of the opening of the Gibbs Street Pedestrian Bridge.  We will meet at South Waterfront Community Relations, take the brand new bridge into the Lair Hill neighborhood and traverse a series of historic stairways to climb up to OHSU and back, stopping in at the OHSU Farmers Market for lunch.

This walk is approximately 2.25 miles round trip and includes many stairs and hills.

Please RSVP
Community Relations Manager Heather Bayles at hea...@southwaterfront.com or 503-972-3289.

Tuesday, July 17, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Meet at South Waterfront Community Relations
Atwater Place, Suite 115
0841 SW Gaines Street, Portland, OR Map It

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Caron Dania

Jul 11, 2012, 8:08:04 PM7/11/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather,
I can't get back here by 10 on Wednesday. Can you send me a description of the route? If I get back here not long after I'd like to try and catch up with the group.
Thanks,
Dania

Heather Bayles

Jul 11, 2012, 8:09:14 PM7/11/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dania,

The walk is on Tuesday?  Does that help with your schedule?

If not I will to describe the route for you.

Thanks!

Heather
--
Heather Bayles Photography

Caron Dania

Jul 11, 2012, 11:15:04 PM7/11/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
I meant Tuesday!

Caron Dania

Jul 13, 2012, 10:23:38 AM7/13/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather,
Can you send me a description of the walk. I can't get back here by ten on Tuesday!
Thanks,
Dania

Heather Bayles

Jul 13, 2012, 10:59:30 AM7/13/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dania,

I should be able to get a description to you on Monday afternoon.

Thanks!

Heather

Toni Stevens

Jul 13, 2012, 11:29:56 AM7/13/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather,
I would love to walk with the group as well but can't be there by 10 either. When you send a description of the walk to Carin Dania would you mind copying me in too please?  That would be great to try and catch up with the group.

Thanking you in advance,
Toni Stevens
--
Toni Jo Spencer Stevens
Life is an adventure to be lived, not a mystery to be solved!

Julie Mikulic

Jul 13, 2012, 11:41:07 AM7/13/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Heather,
Would you be so kind as to remove me from this email group. Unfortunately my work schedule does not accommodate these daytime walks.
Thank you,
Julie Mikulic (miku...@ohsu.edu)

Caron Dania

Jul 13, 2012, 1:39:39 PM7/13/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Heather Bayles

Jul 17, 2012, 12:17:49 AM7/17/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
Here is the route for the July 17 walk, for those of you not able to join the group:

Take the new Gibbs Pedestrian Bridge across and continue on Gibbs until you reach Naito Parkway.  Turn right on Naito Parkway, continuing (using one crosswalk to continue) until you reach the National College of Natural Medicine.  Directly across their parking lot you will see a second pedestrian bridge stretching across Naito (we are using this route as an alternative to the tunnel, which many are uncomfortable with using).  Cross the pedestrian bridge and continue on Hooker St until you reach 2nd Ave.  Turn left on 2nd and continue until you reach Gibbs again and take the long staircase you will see to your right to climb up to Barbur Blvd.  Take the crosswalk directly to your left and then turn left and walk a few feet until you reach another staircase - take this staircase.  As you reach the top of the staircase you should see signs directly in front of you for SW Trails 1 - you will feel like you are walking on private property as this set of stairs and trail goes right by a house, but this is part of the SW Trails.  Exercise caution on this staircase as it has undergone a bit of damage over the past winter.  Continue out of the trail on the paved driveway - this will take you to Terwilliger and the entrance to OHSU.  Take the crosswalk and head up the hill.  Look for signs to SW Trails - as you pass Doernbecher cross the street and follow the SW Trails signs which take you on a series of trails and stairways behind the BICC Building.  Continue following SW Trails signs until you wind your way around to the front of the BICC.  Here you have a choice to take the stairway to your right up to the top of the BICC and across the third pedestrian bridge to the OHSU Auditorium Courtyard and OHSU Farmers Market -or- if you're tired of stairs at this point cross the street and wind your way to left and then again to the right up a gradual incline to reach the Farmers Market.  Enjoy a much deserved snack at the market and do the whole walk in reverse or head over to the Tram for a free ride back to the South Waterfront!

Heather

Caron Dania

Jul 17, 2012, 9:39:09 AM7/17/12
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com