Fitness Goals

Heather Bayles - South Waterfront Community Relations

Apr 30, 2011, 2:37:45 PM4/30/11
to South Waterfront Walks There
Hi Walkers!

I just got back from the April 30th walk to Willamette Park and back.
Could there be more perfect weather for a walk?? I hope I did not
miss anyone, as I arrived at 10:05 for the walk (no one will ever
tell me that punctuality is my strong point :) My corgi mix O'Riley
and I were the only ones outside #115 at that time, so we went on a
fantastic walk together and even saw some kind of river creature... a
beaver or nutria swimming by one of the docks! Its tail was
underwater so I couldn't tell, but I'm leaning toward nutria because
I've heard that beavers are very secretive and mainly come out at
night.

I feel like I'm talking to myself so far on this group (not that
there's anything wrong with talking to oneself!). I'd love to hear a
peep from you all! So, I'm going to throw out a question and hope
that we get some discussion:

-What are your fitness and fun goals for the summer?-

My fitness goals include:

-Go for three 1-hour walks per week
-Go to two yoga classes per week (including our new Grow Yoga
community yoga classes at the Matisse)
-Lose 6 pounds over the next 3 months
-Try kayaking
-Get a fun new bike (cruiser, upright style so that I can look around
and not feel hunched over like I do on my old road bike) and go for
lots of bike rides!

Hope to hear from you!

Heather

Maureen Bennett

May 5, 2011, 3:32:08 PM5/5/11
to South Waterfront Walks There
My goals: I want to take out our apartment building's kayaks (the
matisse), get a bike and take lovely rides on local trails, take walks
I lovely areas-whether it be cute neighborhoods, touring gardens or
nature trails. I'd like to do more yoga...so far I've tried kundalini
and love it! I look forward to meeting neighbors and supporting each
others goals.

Maureen Bennett

On Apr 30, 11:37 am, Heather Bayles - South Waterfront Community

Heather Bayles - South Waterfront Community Relations

Jun 4, 2011, 2:34:10 PM6/4/11
to South Waterfront Walks There
Maureen,

These are wonderful goals! That is cool that your building has kayaks
for resident use. I'm very interested in learning to kayak this
summer. (just FYI there are some discounted kayak tours coming up
from Portland Kayak Company for SWF residents, one this month and one
next month - information in the E-Current).

As much as I enjoy walking on natural trails, I LOVE walking through
cute neighborhoods like you mentioned below. Looking at what people
have done with their gardens and landscaping is so fun. I used to
live in the Overlook neighborhood of North Portland, which was a
charming neighborhood for that. I have walked from the South
Waterfront up and through the Lair Hill neighborhood on occasion,
which is also a rather quaint little cute neighborhood.

Good for you on doing more yoga. I've also made a commitment to do
more yoga - going 3 early mornings per week, mostly vinyasa style
classes. I've never done this much yoga before and I'm feeling a
difference in how I connect with my surroundings and in my muscle tone
and flexibility. There are several yoga studios within around 10
minutes drive from our neighborhood; we are in such a central spot.
I'm mostly going to Yoga Pearl and Yoga Shala (southeast). They teach
shadow yoga at yoga shala, which I have never tried before, but am
intrigued by. For anyone interested in trying more yoga in our own
neighborhood, during the month of June our neighborhood's Grow Yoga
program is free! Free classes every Thursday at 6:00 pm in Atwater
Unit 808, with a complementary glass of wine afterward. We had 6
people attend the first class and are hoping for more this next week!

Heather

On May 5, 12:32 pm, Maureen Bennett <dr.maureenbenn...@gmail.com>

sybi...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2011, 2:50:55 PM6/4/11
to swfwal...@googlegroups.com
I used to do the Portland Marathon, but after two broken hips in the last two years, I am having a struggle to get back to where I was. My goal is to do 3 miles an hour without stopping--I have gotten up to 2, on this flat area, but it’s probably about 25 min/per mile instead of my usual (once) 17.

So I’m looking for others who have the same sort of goal. Saturday am seems like a good time. I do walk with the Mirabella fitness class twice a week for about half an hour.

Sybilla Cook, Mirabella