Getting a new computer

3 просмотра

Stephen S. Lee

не прочитано,
23 янв. 2016 г., 19:40:2723.01.2016
– swco...@googlegroups.com

It's just about time for me to buy a new computer. I will still have a
486, etc. around to actually play games on if needed, but I'd like to make
a new computer that I buy as retro-friendly as I can reasonably make it.

I actually don't know that much about recent desktop hardware. The
intention is a triple-boot setup (Windows 10, some kind of Linux, 32-bit
Windows XP).

The main questions I'd like to know are:

(1) Would it be practical to look for a motherboard that still would be
able to read a 5.25" floppy drive? Or even 3.5"? I'm not sure if modern
motherboards/hardware still support that kind of thing. I have a large
enough floppy supply I'd like to archive that doing this on an older
computer isn't terribly practical (there would be no good way of actually
transferring any images I make to the modern computer), so this is worth
spending a fair bit of cash on to get this to work if need be.

(2) What do I need to consider if would I want to make DOS games work
under Windows XP in a multi-boot system? XP is necessary because some
not-quite-vintage games absolutely won't work with either Windows 7+ or
DOSBox. I don't intend to use it for my everyday OS, though.

-- Stephen

Pedro Quaresma

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2016 г., 07:24:2224.01.2016
– swco...@googlegroups.com
(1) I recently bought an USB 3.5 drive (not sure a 5.25 exists) . which I use to test disks and save data for my Amigas. I'm not sure if this will do the job for you, but give it a try.

(2) can't help you here I'm afraid. I have yet to find a game I couldn't get to work on a modern rig.

Beyond (1) and (2): I was recently on the market for an inexpensive gfx card. Now I'm not sure of your budget, or which modern games you play, but my investigation led me to the conclusion that if you won't play anything beyond HD (1920x1200), a GTX 960 with 4Gb is a decent investment in terms of quality/price. Certainly quite enough to play high-res Fallout 4 on a main HD monitor and browse the web on a 2nd smaller monitor.

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2016 г., 08:50:5724.01.2016
– swco...@googlegroups.com

Regarding (1): There's a USB floppy drive which can read Amiga disks? Usually these drives only read standard MFM ("IBM PC compatible") and can't deal with the modified Amiga format...

Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org

Stuart Feldhamer

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2016 г., 09:36:4024.01.2016
– swco...@googlegroups.com
I heard about this the other day, apparently there are drives that can read ST disks too...

Stuart

Pedro Q.

не прочитано,
24 янв. 2016 г., 10:16:0024.01.2016
– swco...@googlegroups.com
Not Amiga compatible, but the Amiga can read msdos disks