Softporn Instruction Book

Troy Simpson

Jul 7, 2015, 11:49:14 AM7/7/15
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone happen to see this auction for the Softporn user guide?  $5,000 for a manual seem s little extreme.  Am I missing something here?  I understand the game is is rare is one of Roberta's very early works, but wow, that's a lot of cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1982-Softporn-Adventure-User-Guide-Charles-Benton-Sierra-On-Line-Apple-II-/271915557963

Howard Feldman

Jul 7, 2015, 12:20:09 PM7/7/15
to swcollect
Yes, the blue and white cover existed only a very short time until the more common photo-artwork was used.  Not sure how many exist but I have only seen 2 including this one, and the previous also fetched a 4-digit price (but not quite as high).  The only hint it even existed for a long time was that it appears in a photo in the 10th anniversary sierra catalog.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Troy Simpson <troy.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did anyone happen to see this auction for the Softporn user guide?  $5,000 for a manual seem s little extreme.  Am I missing something here?  I understand the game is is rare is one of Roberta's very early works, but wow, that's a lot of cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1982-Softporn-Adventure-User-Guide-Charles-Benton-Sierra-On-Line-Apple-II-/271915557963

-----------------------------------
Howard Feldman

Jukka Eronen

Jul 7, 2015, 12:23:49 PM7/7/15
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Yeah was following that show "with some popcorn".

Would be more like $4000 rounded. Extreme price anyways, $4319.69 to be precise, so doesn't even need to exaggerate. Didn't think it was gonna go THAT high... Am not too keen on these software prices skyrocketing in late years like video games did much sooner.

The previous one sold for $4000 too in 2010 but it was in a lot of 60+ Apple ][ games.

Technically it's not Roberta's though sure Ken and Roberta formed On-Line Systems that released this.

Would like to have that folder too but would like to have that kind of a sum more.

- Jukka
--
http://www.jukkaeronen.com/web/fantasya - Fantasy Adventures 2.0: The Adventure/RPG Computer Game Museum
http://www.jukkaeronen.com/eng - Sci-Fi & fantasy movies, art, comic books and music from Finland

Did anyone happen to see this auction for the Softporn user guide?  $5,000 for a manual seem s little extreme.  Am I missing something here?  I understand the game is is rare is one of Roberta's very early works, but wow, that's a lot of cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1982-Softporn-Adventure-User-Guide-Charles-Benton-Sierra-On-Line-Apple-II-/271915557963

Troy Simpson

Jul 7, 2015, 12:46:47 PM7/7/15
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, yes, for some reason I was thinking the price was $4,00 and change hence the rounding up to $5,000.  Had my 3's and 8's confused.  :)

Jonathon Tucker

Jul 9, 2015, 6:23:21 AM7/9/15
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Apparently it was not worth $4300, because it has been relisted. Probably just some youngsters screwing with the seller. Originally, the seller was letting bidders decide what is the value of the software through fair and competitive bidding. But after seeing some items sell for hundreds and others go for tens, I believe the seller thought he got screwed on the lower priced sales. The seller has not been able to determine that most of his software is absolute crap(utilities, learning programs and text editors) and others are referred to as review copies(when they are nothing more than worthless hand written copies). These items have been ridiculously listed with starting prices of nearly $300. So it wouldn't surprise me if immature and disgruntled bidders set about placing huge bids only to retract them after the sale. If you look at the bid history and their timings, I wouldn't be surprised if the 868.88 was the last bid that was really intended to be honored. The owner has relisted at $4500. Methinks that will be sitting on ebay for a long time. I predict it will finally sell for well under $1500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1982-Softporn-Adventure-User-Guide-Charles-Benton-Sierra-On-Line-Apple-II/271925020953?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32239%26meid%3D9479f4413a4b433fb0a499262386311a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D271915557963

-Jonathon

appleII6502

Sep 27, 2015, 7:06:33 PM9/27/15
to Software Collectors