Testing 1 2 3

Robert Pitt

Jul 7, 2020, 7:57:43 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com

Is the Google SWCollect group still alive??

I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s going on.

Jerry Kurtz

Jul 7, 2020, 8:01:09 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Apparently it is.  Haven't seen an email come through this group in a long time though.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:57 PM Robert Pitt <rp...@tpbi.net> wrote:

Is the Google SWCollect group still alive??

I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s going on.

Mike Melanson

Jul 7, 2020, 8:02:35 PM7/7/20
to swcollect
---- On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:57:39 -0700 Robert Pitt <rp...@tpbi.net> wrote ----

> Is the Google SWCollect group still alive??
>
> I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s going on.

Still collecting. Why, just today I received a shipment from an eBay seller containing a lot of around 20 vintage games and other software CD-ROMs. The weirdest find was a game based on the Family Circus comic strip that is largely unknown to the internet.

Also a Tony the Tiger (breakfast cereal mascot) video game that I'd never heard of.

-Mike M.

Stuart Feldhamer

Jul 7, 2020, 8:03:50 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
It's completely dead, actually. Any responses you see are purely the figment of your imagination.

Not Stuart

chisa...@mac.com

Jul 7, 2020, 9:37:17 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Is a lack of a response also imaginary?

Jul 7, 2020, 9:49:31 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I am still collecting but dialed things back again. Did a lot of cleanup, sorting, organizing, and now actual playing. I finally finished a major goal in imaging every last disk in my collection at least once. Some didn’t quite make it intact but nearly all of them did. I scanned some of the manuals (wow is that a chore). The idea being that now that I have all my disk images imaged, if I have the docs scanned it’s easier to play whatever I want, whenever.

In going through all my stuff, I’d say 2/3 of the games I have I either never played at all or played < 2h. I’m finding that a lot of them are probably are not as much fun as I would have hoped. They are games I wanted to like (such as complex strategy games) but really don’t. It’s the predictable mix of stuff I thought I’d love that I don’t, some games I enjoyed back in the day that didn’t hold up, some that did hold up and fortunately a few surprises.

I really want to get < 100 titles that I can point to and say “these are the good ones” because they’re fun, not because they’re rare, complete a collection, or are there for any reason other than actual use.

Is the Google SWCollect group still alive??

I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s going on.

Jim Leonard

Jul 7, 2020, 11:52:33 PM7/7/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
The group is mostly dead, although collecting is still very much alive and
well. Most collectors have moved to the BBPCG facebook group, for better or
worse.

On 7/7/2020 6:57 PM, Robert Pitt wrote:
> *Is the Google SWCollect group still alive?? *
>
> **
>
> *I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s
> going on.*
>
> **
>
> --

Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!

Andreas Bonzani

Jul 8, 2020, 5:58:49 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I've bee lurking this list for years, I'm happy to see it somewhat active again.

On 08/07/2020 01:57, Robert Pitt wrote:

Is the Google SWCollect group still alive??

I’ve been out of things for so long, just looking around again to see what’s going on.

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

Pedro Quaresma

Jul 8, 2020, 6:02:56 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it's great to see this classic group alive and kicking, and many of us "old time" collectors communicating :)

While facebook groups are nice and handy, I feel they're more about "hoarding" than "collecting", but what do I know...

chisa...@mac.com

Jul 8, 2020, 6:23:17 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Back in the day the discussion was lively possibly because of so many unanswered questions. Now it’s a lot easier to find most things with a quick web search. I only recently discovered that Windows 95 can run in DosBox and plan to set that up in the near future as part of the grand reconciliation. For all my consoles I played every game I had to some extent and either loved it or sold it. Now only Apple and PC remain untouched. So that will help load the small percentage of Windows games like Mechwarrior II, Crusader, Cyberstorm, etc.

Jul 8, 2020, 8:14:05 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Still around. Unfortunately, what's left of my collection has been in boxes in our garage since our last move a couple years ago. No more GOTCHA on display. I'm sure I mentioned this a long time ago, but GOTCHA website still exists in it's 1990s glory. I worked with John Romero back at Midway. When Classicgaming.com shut down, I was going to let the site go way, but John didn't want to just let it fade away. He asked if he could keep it running. So I sent him all the files. Well he actually decided to buy a domain name: http://www.hughfalk.com/ put it there, and still owns it to this day :-)

Hugh

Jerry Kurtz

Jul 8, 2020, 9:35:15 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I lost a lot of "collector" motivation due to a basement flood a couple of years ago,  Estimated lost around $30k worth of C64 and Amiga games.  Found out my insurance wasn't as good as I had hoped.  They saw the carnage and wrote a $5000 check and took off.  That was just enough to cover the cleanup.

What wasn't destroyed is now in plastic bins, stacked in my dining room.  I know I need to do something with it, but every time I start, I just get depressed about what's missing.  I've started to get back into it a little over the last few months, but the motivation is nowhere near what it used to be.

chisa...@mac.com

Jul 8, 2020, 9:40:05 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear that. It’s painful to lose something you treasure. It’s hard to protect against all possible threats to a collection.

Sorry to hear that, that's really saddening.

Andreas Bonzani

Jul 8, 2020, 10:00:05 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
http://www.hughfalk.com/ is down for me.

Jim Leonard

Jul 8, 2020, 10:09:22 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 7/8/2020 5:02 AM, Pedro Quaresma wrote:
> While facebook groups are nice and handy, I feel they're more about "hoarding"
> than "collecting", but what do I know...

I don't necessarily agree. One thing that the facebook group opened my eyes
to is that collecting runs a wider gamut than just item condition/quality.
For example, there are some people who don't mind that an item isn't sealed
(in fact, some people who have been burned in the past by rewrapped items have
a policy for their collection that all items have the wrap removed so that
there is no ambiguity). Some collectors don't even care about box condition;
if a box has shelf wear, or a crease in a corner, etc. they are still happy to
pay $20 to get something they've always wanted.

There *are* the hoarders, and obnoxious show-offs, of course. But the group
is more diverse than you'd think.

I've also found that the facebook group is a somewhat younger (30-40) crowd,
and as such, they value very highly the games of *their* youth which is about
1991+. Since a lot of their youth was playing shareware titles like
Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jackrabbit, etc., registered boxed
versions of those titles are selling for $100+ (and sometimes much more). I
don't personally "get" that, especially since these were shareware titles, but
it's their collection, not mine...

I'm glad this group is still active, as I'm working on a video of interest to
the software collecting community and will be soliciting feedback on it soon.

Jim Leonard

Jul 8, 2020, 10:14:36 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 7/8/2020 8:35 AM, Jerry Kurtz wrote:
> Personally, I lost a lot of "collector" motivation due to a basement flood a
> couple of years ago,  Estimated lost around $30k worth of C64 and Amiga
> games.  Found out my insurance wasn't as good as I had hoped.  They saw the
> carnage and wrote a $5000 check and took off.  That was just enough to cover
> the cleanup.

Very sorry to hear that. I went through a similar experience, including a
similar payout, although I luckily only lost about 30 boxed Amiga titles.

All of my titles are on bookshelves or in plastic tubs. I can survive an inch
of water across the entire basement, and up to 6 inches in certain places, and
since the basement has never flooded more than an inch, I'm hoping thats good
enough.

Jim Leonard

Jul 8, 2020, 10:15:03 AM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 7/8/2020 8:42 AM, Andreas Bonzani wrote:
> http://www.hughfalk.com/ is down for me.

Works fine here.

Rick Sirocco

Jul 8, 2020, 12:47:07 PM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Great to see these mails and see all of you are doing OK.  The flooded collection is heart breaking!
I'm still trucking along although have slowed my collecting quite a bit.  I've been dosboxing my whole collection to CDs and even play them occasionally although my son now has me running around with him in Call of Duty: Warzone.  :)

Thanks for writing, great hearing from all of you!

Cheers,
  Jon

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swcollect/a8ecb8b9-ea06-9feb-d1d1-e10cb309eee1%40oldskool.org.

Fred Hiss

Jul 8, 2020, 1:08:22 PM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear from everyone. Huge sorrow for the flood loss. Lost a ton of comics years ago to a flood. Things changed after that for sure. I still collect but have slowed down a ton. Sold most of my hardware collection but kept a couple Apples, Atari and Commodores around for just such an occasion. Best to all.

Fred

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swcollect/1359164573.4380428.1594226825014%40mail.yahoo.com.

hugh...@mindspring.com

Jul 8, 2020, 3:53:02 PM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Odd works for me.

> On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:00 AM, Andreas Bonzani <drunkju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.hughfalk.com/ is down for me.

Mike Melanson

Jul 8, 2020, 3:53:41 PM7/8/20
to swcollect
This seems to be the natural entropy state for many stored collections. I've heard seemingly countless stories over the last decades along the lines of, "I used to have a massive comic collection but the rented storage unit housing them flooded during that big storm season a few years back."

Let it be known that all my games are neatly organized on the second floor of my home.

-Mike M.

---- On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 10:08:09 -0700 Fred Hiss <fred...@gmail.com> wrote ----
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swcollect/CAATzx-RscS8-YByE8xr_0b%2BV0Ou-LBz_ZzvbbfN5DTbB03meiA%40mail.gmail.com.
> Great to see these mails and see all of you are doing OK. The flooded collection is heart breaking! I'm still trucking along although have slowed my collecting quite a bit. I've been dosboxing my whole collection to CDs and even play them occasionally although my son now has me running around with him in Call of Duty: Warzone. :)
> Thanks for writing, great hearing from all of you!
> Cheers, Jon
> On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 07:15:04 AM PDT, Jim Leonard <tri...@oldskool.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/8/2020 8:42 AM, Andreas Bonzani wrote:
> > http://www.hughfalk.com/ is down for me.
>
> Works fine here.
> --
> Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
> Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
> A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
> You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!

Bill Johnson

Jul 8, 2020, 4:32:06 PM7/8/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I haven't really done much collecting since I moved into the new house a few years ago.  Mostly because I looked for games I grew up playing in the 80's and I still haven't found a place to set up some of my collected Apple II stuff.

There was one room I had planned to use for that purpose, but I just finished turning it into a green screen streaming studio so that plan is no longer feasible.  On the plus side, I do have one hell of a recording studio for streaming TTRPGs.

~Bill

Andreas Bonzani

Jul 9, 2020, 6:55:43 AM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, there are no rules in Windows Firewall and I temporarily
disabled my router's one but still can't open the page.
If it works for everybody then must be something on my end that I can't
figure out.
Noluck.png

Lee K. Seitz

Jul 9, 2020, 3:34:36 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I'd downloaded all my email from my ISP back at the beginning of the year, so my folder for SWCollect went away. All these e-mails caused it to be re-created, but I have to manually reload the folder list in my phone's e-mail program to see it. Therefore it wasn't until I got a notice to approve a message today -- Jim made me an admin long ago -- that I realized the list was active again. Hi, guys!

Anyway, if you lived where I do, you'd worry about losing those games on the second floor to a tornado.

I put all my Atari 2600 boxes away in the garage years ago. Turns out the garage sometimes gets water in it around the edges. :-( The outer box shows signs of having gotten wet. I haven't had the heart to look inside. Until I do, they're Schrodinger's boxes: simultaneously fine and ruined.

Jul 9, 2020, 3:46:54 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Ohio and have had a strong wind take off a portion of my roof on a house that was only 7 years old at the time, so yea, 2nd floor has its risks too.

Not to mention, the loft on the 2nd floor that I could use for the collection is right next to a restroom that has overflowed a couple times and caught fire once.  Luckily those were all contained to that one room, but will I be so lucky next time?

As well, one time before moving cross country, I had boxed a lot of Xbox/Xbox 360/PS2 games in banker boxes.  About 64 games fit in a box.  Guess how quickly that adds up when someone decides to steal several boxes when you're not home?

Point is, there's perils everywhere.

Ugh!

John Herron

Jul 9, 2020, 3:54:30 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Nightmare fuel. I have a hugely unorganized hoard size collection of stuff and things disappear. Can never tell if someone had sticky fingers or if I did something stupid.

I have a PS Vita hiding somewhere really well that I *think* I hid when a contractor was coming but don't remember if I did. Never the less never saw it since.

chisa...@mac.com

Jul 9, 2020, 3:55:09 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
A game collection is like Fort Knox: The more common currency in circulation (digital copies of games) is backed up with the warmth and comfort of knowing the physical product is safely secured. Somewhere. Ya know, maybe this is a terrible analogy.

That said somehow I love the doc scans I make of my own game manuals and images off my own disks because I know they’re pristine and I know the real product is in a box I have. When someone else re-releases a digital copy of a game that used to be physical, the quality isn’t that great.

I have gone out of my way a few times to get the “good” printing of a manual and scan that. Microprose does lower-quality second runs of their games. The disk labels and B&W, the manuals don’t have color inside, and the covers look like a color photocopy (probably because they are). Also the reference card is lacking color and is sometimes printed inside the manual. Despite the information being the same, I want to scan the full color first printing copies.

Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:46:41 PM
To: swco...@googlegroups.com <swco...@googlegroups.com>

Mike Melanson

Jul 9, 2020, 6:52:04 PM7/9/20
to swcollect
Flooding is a plausible threat to my home... but the much larger problem would be earthquakes. Insurance wouldn't be much comfort in the case of a disaster because I don't collect this stuff for its value; I'm more interested in the historical curiosity.

Fortunately, I am finally making an effort this year to systematically extract all of my thousands of CD-ROMs. Eventually, this will all end up in the hands of more responsible preservation organizations.

-Mike M.

---- On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 12:55:06 -0700 'chisa...@mac.com' via Software Collectors <swco...@googlegroups.com> wrote ----
> A game collection is like Fort Knox: The more common currency in circulation (digital copies of games) is backed up with the warmth and comfort of knowing the physical product is safely secured. Somewhere. Ya know, maybe this is a terrible analogy.
> That said somehow I love the doc scans I make of my own game manuals and images off my own disks because I know they’re pristine and I know the real product is in a box I have. When someone else re-releases a digital copy of a game that used to be physical, the quality isn’t that great.
> I have gone out of my way a few times to get the “good” printing of a manual and scan that. Microprose does lower-quality second runs of their games. The disk labels and B&W, the manuals don’t have color inside, and the covers look like a color photocopy (probably because they are). Also the reference card is lacking color and is sometimes printed inside the manual. Despite the information being the same, I want to scan the full color first printing copies.
>
> Get Outlook for iOS
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email toswcollect...@googlegroups.com.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swcollect/CAATzx-RscS8-YByE8xr_0b%2BV0Ou-LBz_ZzvbbfN5DTbB03meiA%40mail.gmail.com.
> > Great to see these mails and see all of you are doing OK. The flooded collection is heart breaking! I'm still trucking along although have slowed my collecting quite a bit. I've been dosboxing my whole collection to CDs and even play them occasionally although my son now has me running around with him in Call of Duty: Warzone. :)
> > Thanks for writing, great hearing from all of you!
> > Cheers, Jon
> > On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 07:15:04 AM PDT, Jim Leonard <tri...@oldskool.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/8/2020 8:42 AM, Andreas Bonzani wrote:
> > > http://www.hughfalk.com/ is down for me.
> >
> > Works fine here.
> > --
> > Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
> > Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
> > A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
> > You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!

Stuart Feldhamer

Jul 9, 2020, 7:27:26 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com

Sorry to hear that Jerry. That’s terrible.

Stuart

Stuart Feldhamer

Jul 9, 2020, 7:33:33 PM7/9/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I hope I'm not one of the obnoxious showoffs. 😊

> a strong wind take off a portion of my roof
> a restroom that has overflowed a couple times and caught fire

Dude, you need to move. It's like you're living in a Final Destination movie.

Jim Leonard

Jul 10, 2020, 2:17:19 PM7/10/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 7/9/2020 2:54 PM, John Herron wrote:
> Nightmare fuel. I have a hugely unorganized hoard size collection of stuff and
> things disappear. Can never tell if someone had sticky fingers or if I did
> something stupid.

I finally started cataloging my collection 5 years ago because I was tired of
buying the same thing twice or thrice without realizing it. (Also helps when
you need to quickly grab something for research, or sell portions of it.)

Jerry Kurtz

Jul 10, 2020, 2:33:07 PM7/10/20
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Ain't that the truth!