Looking for IBM PCjr memory expansion help

r barth

Oct 6, 2017, 8:24:03 PM10/6/17
to Software Collectors
Hello,

I have a PCjr that I use to play PCjr compatible games.  I am having a problem with my PCjr memory expansion sidecars.  At first my PCjr recognized them and gave me extra memory, but now my PCjr completely ignores them and will only boot up it's internal memory (128k) every single time.  I already know about the dip switches, so that couldn't be part of the problem.  If anyone thinks they can help, I can tell you more about what I did before the problem started.

Jim Leonard

Oct 6, 2017, 11:33:57 PM10/6/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
You may want to join the PCjr forums over at http://www.brutman.com/forums/
and ask your question there, as this group is (was) for people who discuss the
care and feeding of vintage software games and collectibles.
--
Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/

pedro.q...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2017, 2:28:09 AM10/7/17
to Jim Leonard, swco...@googlegroups.com

Is! Not was! 😊

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/swcollect.

Jim Leonard

Oct 7, 2017, 4:58:15 PM10/7/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 10/7/2017 1:27 AM, pedro.q...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is! Not was! 😊

I think it's safe to say was. Everyone migrated over to Facebook's Big Box PC
Collector's group, I think.

Pedro Quaresma

Oct 7, 2017, 5:18:21 PM10/7/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
The Facebook group is an excellent resource and debate center for physical gaming content.

This mail group is an excellent resource for all things related to software collecting, not only the physical side, but also the software, imaging, etc

I don't find either more important than the other. Also, the target of each is very different.

Dan Chisarick

Oct 7, 2017, 5:20:14 PM10/7/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I would agree that this group isn’t dead or moved on or has changed in purpose. Quieter than it was in the past but, quality not quantity.

Pedro Quaresma

Oct 7, 2017, 5:26:08 PM10/7/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Precisely. Quality, and the fact that every active member in this list is quite an expert* in an area or other of collecting.

* - except Stuart of course, but we put up with him anyway O:)

Sam O'nella

Oct 7, 2017, 7:46:19 PM10/7/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Ah bummer but good to know what happened. I don't do facebook, so guess ill just guard the castle doors here.

Mike Brutman is definitely an active and  helpful peanut collector. Good resource. You also might try the vcfed.org forums. Generally a helpful group of sorts.

I don't think I've used a ram expansion on mine but common things to check like you already said would be dip switches and maybe clean the contacts. If you have other expansions that you know work i suppose daisy chaining them after your ram expansion might also help identify if its dirty connection.

I'm sure the remaining folks here would also be interested in what you're playing now :-)

On 10/6/2017 7:21 PM, 'r barth' via Software Collectors wrote:
> I have a PCjr that I use to play PCjr compatible games.  I am having a problem
> with my PCjr memory expansion sidecars.  At first my PCjr recognized them and
> gave me extra memory, but now my PCjr completely ignores them and will only
> boot up it's internal memory (128k) every single time.  I already know about
> the dip switches, so that couldn't be part of the problem.  If anyone thinks
> they can help, I can tell you more about what I did before the problem started.

You may want to join the PCjr forums over at http://www.brutman.com/forums/
and ask your question there, as this group is (was) for people who discuss the
care and feeding of vintage software games and collectibles.
--
Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!

Stuart Feldhamer

Oct 10, 2017, 12:47:38 AM10/10/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com

Hey!!! 😊

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Jim Leonard <tri...@oldskool.org> wrote:

On 10/7/2017 1:27 AM, pedro.q...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is! Not was! 😊

I think it's safe to say was.  Everyone migrated over to Facebook's Big Box PC
Collector's group, I think.

--
Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!

Stephen S. Lee

Oct 30, 2017, 12:54:25 AM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com

If people care, I'm in the process of getting every single physical
package of Sid Meier's Civilization (PC only, as normal for me). I've
never heard of anyone else doing this. Not difficult or expensive as
these things go, which may be why.

I should also get stuff that I was neglecting because it was trivial to
get, but is now merely easy. ("Where did my copy of Space Quest VI go?
*checks catalog* Oh, I never had it. I should probably get games like
that now.")

I also just moved, and my core collection is currently in 7 bookcases.
(It was 6, but I spaced things apart so I don't have to rearrange 100
games every time I add a box.)

-- Stephen

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017, Dan Chisarick wrote:

> I would agree that this group isn?t dead or moved on or has changed in
> purpose. Quieter than it was in the past but, quality not quantity.
>

> On Oct 7, 2017, at 5:18 PM, Pedro Quaresma
> <pedro.q...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Facebook group is an excellent resource and debate center for
> physical gaming content.
>
> This mail group is an excellent resource for all things related to
> software collecting, not only the physical side, but also the
> software, imaging, etc
>
> I don't find either more important than the other. Also, the target of
> each is very different.
>
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Jim Leonard <tri...@oldskool.org>
> wrote:
> On 10/7/2017 1:27 AM, pedro.q...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Is! Not was! ?
>
> I think it's safe to say was.  Everyone migrated over to
> Facebook's Big Box PC
> Collector's group, I think.
> --
> Jim Leonard (tri...@oldskool.org)
> Check out some trippy MindCandy:
> http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
> A child borne of the home computer wars:
> http://trixter.oldskool.org/
> You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!
>
> --
> from it, send an email to

Dan Chisarick

Oct 30, 2017, 4:59:46 AM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
The first version was the only one I actually played all that much. Spectacularly enjoyable. So are you getting all the versions up to the newest? Different languages? Things like Slash distributions or compilations? Can you give some more details around what what’s in your goal and what’s out other than the platform?

Pedro Quaresma

Oct 30, 2017, 6:58:33 AM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome Stephen, I love it when people start new collecting "quests" like those!

I've recently finished Wasteland 2 and I realized it was the first RPG I finished since Skyrim in 2012 (which I bought, digital, day 1, at the end of 2001). Not an impressive record for a RPG addict like myself, but Wasteland 2 was really really outstanding, imho. So I'll be searching for a boxed version of it to add to my otherwise diminishing collection. And if I'm not mistaken, it's going to be the only modern RPG in my collection, outside of MMOs.

      To post to this group, send email to
      swco...@googlegroups.com.
      Visit this group at
      https://groups.google.com/group/swcollect.
      For more options, visit
      https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Stuart Feldhamer

Oct 30, 2017, 8:47:12 AM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
He didn't say all the versions, he said every physical package. Leave some for the rest of us, buddy!!!

Stephen S. Lee

Oct 30, 2017, 12:31:08 PM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com

The language issue -- I've always passed that up, mostly as a way to keep
my collection under control, and because you normally have to pay extra
for shipping. That's probably a thing I would pursue if I ever ran out of
things to get.

Repackaging and compilations are very much fair game; that's partly
because you often get different game versions and I'm slowly making images
of everything there I have as well. It's not trivial to get the original
release of the first two Civilization games, for instance -- almost all of
what you see is re-releases. (No, I don't have those yet, or more
accurately, I had them when I wasn't collecting, got rid of the original,
and now I'm regretting it.)

Genre: any adventure, RPG, strategy game, or puzzle game is pretty much
always fair game, regardless of era. I do tend to focus on what I've
played intensely, though.

So yeah, that's a lot of stuff. I'm missing a lot of rare stuff (like the
Suspended mask, which is harder to get in IBM form of course), a lot of
common stuff that is getting not as common (I should get around to filling
out that Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale set), and many of those expansion
packs (hard to get complete copies of ...)

-- Stephen

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017, Dan Chisarick wrote:

> The first version was the only one I actually played all that much.
> Spectacularly enjoyable. So are you getting all the versions up to the
> newest? Different languages? Things like Slash distributions or
> compilations? Can you give some more details around what what?s in your
> goal and what?s out other than the platform?

Sam O'nella

Oct 30, 2017, 7:05:51 PM10/30/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Civ1 is definitely a game i can't get away from when i start. Always love that version. The newer ones (well 2 at least) added mundane tasks that felt more like warcraft than civ. If i ever complete modding my 3ds I'm quite curious how it would play in dosbox.. assuming that's a thing. For now i do have the DS Civ revolution which is enjoyable.

One comment i feel like i said before is some games do require patches which may be harder to find than the source now a days. Ruins of Myth Drannor i never got to play due to some crash that occurred after the first environment :-( i think it was patches but i never had it work when first acquired.

Still, love the effort and genre though!

Pedro Quaresma

Oct 31, 2017, 4:12:00 AM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
It's funny how this trend of the late 90s took off (did it start with Fallout 2?) of having the users patch the games to fix the issues the developers left behind. I believe there's still patching being done for Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) or Arx Fatalis (2002). Otherwise GoG does a good job in getting those older games running as they should.

Sam, you can probably count on Sorcerer's Place to find any AD&D patch you may be missing: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index_misc.php

Bill Johnson

Oct 31, 2017, 12:22:41 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Wasteland 2 was the 2nd Kickstarter I ever backed and I came out of it 100% satisfied with where that money went.

Stuart Feldhamer

Oct 31, 2017, 12:25:40 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
It's way better to have patches to patch what the developer didn't fix, than to leave it up to garbage services like Steam to patch.

Stuart

Bill Johnson

Oct 31, 2017, 12:28:15 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Oddly enough, I don't have an issue with Steams patching service.

I do however have a major problem with their lack of standards as to what they allow to be sold on their platform.

Dan Chisarick

Oct 31, 2017, 12:39:08 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com

I also backed WL2 and while I didn’t finish it I did at least get part way through it. Definitely should go back and finish it already.

Tangential KS semi-rant: Probably the best aspect of Kickstarter is the interaction and (hopefully) regular updates from the devs. The spectrum of expectations vs reality in terms of what they deliver, the attitude of the developers, the openness, all of that is part of the experience. Having backed a few projects, they’re all over the place with respect to delivery. I met the dev of one of the projects I backed at PAX East. Super solid guy, he was easily one of the most sincere people I’ve ever met. Note: He delivered his project despite numerous setbacks.

I remember reading an article for people considering submitting a project to KS. It said to watch existing projects first before submitting your own. Allocate $12, and back a dozen projects for a dollar each. You’re doing it just to get the project updates and watch it evolve (I was always wondering what that bottom tier was for). It seems that projects either deliver relatively close to when they promised, or drag on forever with an endless sea of updates begging you to bear with them. Backers are generally OK with this so long as there is regular feedback.

That said, In(terpla)xile delivers.

From: <swco...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Bill Johnson <bill.p....@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:22 PM
To: <swco...@googlegroups.com>

Wasteland 2 was the 2nd Kickstarter I ever backed and I came out of it 100% satisfied with where that money went.

Stuart Feldhamer

Oct 31, 2017, 1:10:12 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I have an issue with it - 2 issues:

1) Those patches will be lost forever one day.
2) They have on more than one occasion automatically patched a working game into a non-working game for me, without my permission or request.

Stuart

Pedro Quaresma

Oct 31, 2017, 1:19:50 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I personally love the convenience of automated patching instead of checking whether a game needs to be updated or not.

Steam does have an option for updating games or not, doesn't it?

Bill Johnson

Oct 31, 2017, 1:22:39 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I actually hadn't looked at it from the angle of game preservation, so the patches being lost in time is a rather large issue.

Steam used to have the option to totally disable updating games, but in their infinite wisdom they removed it.  Now you either have to set each game individually to only update when you launch the game or set the download time restriction to when you know your client will always be offline (say between 3am and 4am).

Bill Loguidice

Oct 31, 2017, 1:59:07 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
It's just changing times. I prefer rolling patches than expecting something to be perfect out of the box (although there's no box anymore), which long ago proved to be incredibly difficult for various reasons.

In terms of preservation, I have no doubt that a way will be found to preserve most digital stuff in one form or another. We haven't had a significant failure in preservation yet, although I'm sure one is inevitable.

Of course, I am a bit biased now. I recently agreed to auction off my entire collection of 500+ systems, countless thousands of boxed software items, etc. The convenience and no need for physical storage space with digital - no matter how large the collection - has been quite freeing.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.

Authored Books and
Film; About me and other ways to get in touch

Jim Leonard

Oct 31, 2017, 5:18:19 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 10/31/2017 12:58 PM, Bill Loguidice wrote:
> In terms of preservation, I have no doubt that a way will be found to preserve
> most digital stuff in one form or another. We haven't had a significant
> failure in preservation yet, although I'm sure one is inevitable.

The bits can be preserved, but without the original hardware, it can be
difficult to reproduce the exact experience. The state of PC/DOS emulators in
particular need a lot of work. Even if the emulator is nearly perfect, it's
only good for reproducing the state of the software, not necessarily for
research or reproduction (the speed and noise of disk drives, the display
properties of the native monitor, etc.).

That said, I understand that not everyone needs or wants the burden of
maintaining vintage hardware, so that is why emulators exist and fully satisfy
the needs of millions of people.

Jim Leonard

Oct 31, 2017, 5:31:42 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
On 10/31/2017 11:38 AM, Dan Chisarick wrote:
> The spectrum of
> expectations vs reality in terms of what they deliver, the attitude of the
> developers, the openness, all of that is part of the experience. Having backed
> a few projects, they’re all over the place with respect to delivery.

Indeed. Game KS's I've been extremely happy with: Carmageddon: Reincarnation
(once the code matured), Doublefine Adventure, Tex Murphy series finale (Tesla
Effect), Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Defense Grid 2. Game KS's I've been
very disappointed by: Code Hero, Sentris.

My disappointment for the failures wasn't necessarily the quality of the end
product, but rather how the creators handled themselves. Code Hero simply
never finished (it promised too much, in hindsight), and the Sentris creator
used the project more as a springboard for evangelism of issues important to
them rather than produce the product they were originally pitching.

Some media deliverables have been hit or miss too, but that's the risk. One
double-album CD was completed quickly and delivered quickly and had great
printing and mastering -- unfortunately, the music itself was very
disappointing. One documentary I backed had absolutely outstanding content,
but the experience was severely marred by the filmmakers not releasing the
film to the backers until every other source of profit had been extracted (it
played at festivals, it was sold to a distributor, it was played on BBC 4,
etc. etc. until *FINALLY* the film was given to the people who paid for it (I
had already pirated it from the BBC airing nearly a year earlier)).

So, if you're going to KS, don't be a jerk and your project should do ok.
Communication is the key.

Dan Chisarick

Oct 31, 2017, 5:35:41 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
I agree that treating your backers with respect goes a very, very long way. As does some degree of planning. I’m almost afraid to mention “Star Citizen” but all other concerns aside, they do communicate frequently with their backers.

On an unrelated note, SWCollect isn’t dead and people haven’t moved on.

Sam O'nella

Oct 31, 2017, 8:19:22 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that link! I'll have to hunt around that site and save some of those files :-)  Yeah, GoG I appreciate their effort for non-drm games and updates. Feels more safe that I can run those in the future, regardless of whether GoG continues operation unlike if Steam went out of business any title there would be useless unless they made some last stitch effort to patch and fix their titles not to require their client connection.

Sam O'nella

Oct 31, 2017, 8:20:47 PM10/31/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com
Cheers! 🍻

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org

Nov 1, 2017, 5:36:59 AM11/1/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com

Does a game need to be patched unless you feel it's broken or something doesn't work? :-)

If there'd be an option to do this manually or a patch archive where you can get all former patches, with changelogs, that'd be something to start from.

Same applies to all console games these days. Day0 patches and when your console dies and the service is discontinued one day, all you have is the very first version to reinstall on a surviving console.

Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org

Nov 1, 2017, 6:02:41 AM11/1/17
to swco...@googlegroups.com, Sam O'nella

Who'd be interested in buying a company that just filed for chapter 11 if they'd just given away all their assets. Think that's not going to happen...

Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org

r barth

Nov 13, 2017, 9:28:33 PM11/13/17
to Software Collectors
Thank you Sam.  I actually solved the expansion problem.  One of the little golded pin connectors, that an expansion would plug into, was badly bent.  I then realized what the cause of my problem was.  I bought another PCjr to solve the problem.  I like to play PCjr compatible programs (mostly Sierra) of the Kids & Family genre.  Games like King's Quest 1,2,3,& 4, Donald Duck's Playground, Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood, The Black Cauldron, Space Quest 1, and Mixed-Up Mother Goose.  By the way Sam, I am looking for "Mickey's Space Adventure" for the IBM PC/PCjr if you happen to know anyone who might be interested in selling theirs.  I have tried communicating with Mike of the PCjr forums, but he doesn't answer me.