Peak outflow way too high

Henrike Vogelsang

Nov 9, 2022, 1:37:17 PM11/9/22
to SWAT+
Dear SWAT+ Team,

I am currently trying to calibrate my model by comparing the basin outflow data to the observed data.

First of all: I am not sure, which output file to use. My gut tells me, it should be the cha_sd_day.txt and then the according channel (in my case channel01). But the base flow is nearly zero although it should be around 10 m3/s at any time.

So, I tried the basin_cha_day.txt file which has a base flow that matches my data, but then the peak flows are way way way too high as you can see in the picture (the modelled data is depicted on a secondary axis on the right as it would not be comparable otherwise).

I tried to adjust arc, alpha, cn2, bf_max and more and nothing got me even close. Also, I have ten reservoirs in my catchment, that should take care of this minimum base flow, but no matter how I implement the reservoir management, it won't fit.

I would appreciate any help on this matter as I urgently need reliable data for my research!

Thank you so much!

model vs observed.png

Henrike Vogelsang

Nov 9, 2022, 1:38:52 PM11/9/22
to SWAT+
The photo has been cut off on the right side. The axis goes from 0 to 6000 (the primary axis on the left from 0 to 100).

Osvaldo Barresi

Nov 9, 2022, 1:53:11 PM11/9/22
to SWAT+
Hey, can you give more information about your watershed please?
Is it a groundwater-dominated basin? How are your soils, do they allow a lot of percolation?