WATER BALANCE IN SWAT+

BB

Nov 17, 2022, 4:23:20 AM11/17/22
to SWAT+
Dear all
Is the water balance in SWAT+ correct?

I have run SWAT+ with the LSU (Landscape Unit) option. I have gone through calibration and achieved reasonable performance.
In the Textinout folder, I filtered the basin_wb_aa.csv file, and checked  the annual water balance of the  basin.
I have tried to sum up SURQ, LATQ, ET, and PERC (percolation) and compare it with precipitation (PCP).
As a result
PCP < SURQ+ LATQ+ ET + PERC
The precipitation is always less than the sum of the water balance terms?
Why?
On the precipitation side, however, if I add the SURQ_RUNON and LATQ_RUNON, the result is fine (balanced).
SURQ_RUNON+LATQ_RUNON+PCP = SURQ+ LATQ+ ET + PERC
What does it mean? What is the logic behind this?
What are the meanings of SURQ_RUNON and LATQ_RUNON? in the table?
Great thanks

Hemant Servia

Nov 17, 2022, 5:12:47 AM11/17/22
to BB, SWAT+
I think you are mainly missing the 'change in storage' component in addition to some other components as well while computing the water balance. I would obtain the water balance as under:

image.png
where P = Precipitation
delta S =  change in soil water content
delta stor = change in aquifer water content
ET = evapotranspiration (excluding revaporation)
Q = total surface flow = Lateral Flow + surface runoff + return flow
DAr = Deep Aquifer Recharge
ETr = revaporation

Just to mention that there might be a residual error sometimes and that error in my case has mostly been in the range of 3-5 mm when computed at an annual scale.

I hope it helps.
Hemant Servia