Simulated Streamflow is Extremely Low

jst...@up.edu.ph

Nov 29, 2022, 10:28:47 PM11/29/22
to SWAT+
Hello!

I am currently modeling a small river basin with the following characteristics:
Drainage Area: 39.97 sq. km.
Annual Average Rainfall: >2000 mm

My problem is that the flo_out (daily and monthly) is extremely low despite having high precipitation and a high surface runoff coefficient.

default salipit new.PNGdefault salipit new (1).PNG
The initial simulation resulted in the following average streamflows:
  • simulated daily average: 1.96 cu. m/s
  • simulated monthly average: 1.95 cu. m/s
In comparison, the observed data are:
  • observed daily average: 7.91 cu. m/s
  • observed monthly average:  22.28 cu. m/s
I have tried computing the estimated discharge using the rational formula for comparison. For example for October (wet season):
  • observed daily rainfall is 104 mm
  • observed streamflow is 26 cu. m/s
Assuming a runoff coefficient of 0.4, the average streamflow should be around 19.26 cu. m/s. However, the simulated average streamflow for this specific month is just 0.28 cu. m/s.

Basically, the model underestimates the total flow for all seasons (PBIAS>+_ 90) but it follows the same trend. Its r-square and Pearson correlation are above 0.80.

Hope someone can explain the possible cause and solutions.

Thank you very much!

*** Because I am still an undergraduate student, my knowledge of hydrology is limited ***

Natalja C.

Dec 1, 2022, 10:02:39 AM12/1/22
to SWAT+
Hello,
Well, this is not what your WB is showing. What output are you looking at? Do the following:
- make sure that you are printing the daily and the monthly output (print.prt)
- Re-run the model;
- make sure that you are comparing the right channel/reach/outlet

According to your WB picture, you should have huge streamflow
Best,
Natalja