Units in the reservoir output files

Lorenzo Villani

Nov 22, 2022, 7:40:16 AM11/22/22
to SWAT+
Dear SWAT+ users,
We are working with reservoirs and we got confused when we tried to analyse the outputs in the reservoir_** files.
The units for precipitation, evaporation and seepage should be ha-m, while those for the flo_sto, flo_in and flo_out are m^3.
We noticed that the values for the variables expressed in ha-m are very high, and when we tried to calculate the water balance of the reservoirs it closed if we considered them as m^3.
In the figure below there is the water balance calculated for the monthly outputs as:

precip + flo_stor (in the previous month) + flo_in - evap - seep - flo_out

that is equal to the flo_stor in that month

Screenshot 2022-11-22 132950.jpg

Is it correct to assume that the values for precipitation, evaporation and seepage are in m^3? or are we missing something?

We are using the version 60.5.4, thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Lorenzo

Henrike Vogelsang

Nov 30, 2022, 10:10:16 AM11/30/22
to SWAT+
Hi Lorenzo,

I agree: I think that (at least seepage) is in m3 in the output. I set a value for the seepage at the reservoir bottom and only if I use the output in m3 it matches with my initial value. This is yet to be confirmed by someone official though.

Good luck with your research!
Henrike

Natalja C.

Dec 1, 2022, 10:07:00 AM12/1/22
to SWAT+
Hello,
Although I am not "someone official", but we will have a look at the headers for the res output files. They are misleading and need a bit of "clean-up". It will probably be right in the next release (if not yet done).
Natalja

Nancy B. Sammons

Dec 1, 2022, 10:48:21 AM12/1/22
to SWAT+, Natalja Cerkasova

Dear All:

We apologize for the confusion with the headers for PRECIP/EVAP and SEEP in the reservoir output files, which are all M^3.  This change will be made in the next release of the model/interfaces.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Nancy