Wind Direction

Roberto Angel Olmos

Mar 26, 2023, 8:44:25 PM3/26/23
to SWAT+ Editor
Hi Team

How can I introduce the wind direction to my model?
What format should the wind direction have to import to the model?
I have not found any example of this and neither the extension that the file should have.
Any help will be appreciated

Maarten J. Waterloo

Mar 27, 2023, 3:58:03 AM3/27/23
to SWAT+ Editor
Dear Roberto,

The wind direction is not one of the input parameters of SWAT or SWAT+ because it does not directly influence the hydrology of the area. The meteorological parameters (P, T, Rs, RH, U) are used to calculate rainfall input and evaporation. Any wind direction effects (such as orographic effects) would already be incorporated in these parameters for the stations experiencing these effects. What would you be using wind direction for in the model? Changing these parameters for downwind areas, atmospheric N input or so?

Regards,

Maarten Waterloo
Acacia Water,
Gouda,
The Netherlands

Osvaldo Luis BARRESI

Mar 28, 2023, 9:35:29 AM3/28/23
to Roberto Angel Olmos, SWAT+ Editor
Hi Roberto,

SWAT+ takes wind speed as input, not wind direction. Examples of the input format can be seen in the example data located in C:\SWAT\SWATPlus\ExampleDatasets

Best

Osvaldo Luis Barresi
Doctorant en modélisation hydrologique et changement climatique

Laboratoire Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Environnement
Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier
UMR 5245 - CNRS - UPS - INPT

Tél : +33 (0)7 81 46 45 95
mail. osvaldo-luis....@univ-tls3.fr