SWAT Check results after changes

Jim Monchak

Mar 3, 2023, 11:32:57 AM3/3/23
to SWAT+ Editor

Greetings,
I'm wondering why SWAT Check results after 2 scenario runs are so similar despite making major changes within SWAT+ Editor. The difference between the 2 scenarios was focused only on changes within the "Landuse Managment" and "Management Schedules", however the changes made in these areas were significant.

I added several new schedules including different crop rotations (double crops and cover crops) and different tillage types (particularly conservation tillage and zero till). I also increased N & P fertilizer in terms of the amount applied and the number of times applications occur within a given year.

For context, I've updated the HRU table (hru_data_hru) so that it's linked/referring to the updated land use management ids (within table landuse_lum) and the new land uses are referring to the appropriate managment schedules (within table managment_sch). Everything looks correct within SWAT+ Editor, I'm just surprised at how little things have changed within SWAT Check:
  • Upland Sediment Yield has not changed--seems strange given the various tillage types now inlcuded.
  • While Total Fertilizer N has increased (from 83.5 to112.4), Total N Loss, Organic N , N Surface runoff, and Residue Mineralization have also not changed--also strange since N fertilizer increase 2x or more with some rotations.
The simulation period is from 2007-2014 with a 3 year warm-up. Not sure why this is happening or what to try next?  Thanks for your help!