Naive question from (ignorant) newbie

atle

Jun 4, 2010, 3:57:02 PM6/4/10
to Swarm Discussion
Hi,

this project is really exciting, and i have actually been looking for
something like swarm for some time now. As far as i can tell it is a
combination of distributed memory for objects, and distributed
execution,something that is not available elsewhere i think.

Now for my question: Does one really need continuations to achieve
what swarm achieves now? Would not the method arguments be a
sufficient context for a method to execute remotely, do you have to
send over the whole application state? I probably have missed
something.

Is the project under active devlopment now?

Thank you.

Atle

Ian Clarke

Jun 7, 2010, 2:37:36 AM6/7/10
to swarm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atle,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM, atle <atle....@gmail.com> wrote:
Now for my question: Does one really need continuations to achieve
what swarm achieves now? Would not the method arguments be a
sufficient context for a method to execute remotely, do you have to
send over the whole application state? I probably have missed
something.

Continuations are used to transparently migrate the program's execution to another computer so that a computer program can always act on local data, even though the data is distributed across multiple computers.  I don't think this can be achieved without continuations or something equivalent to them.

Is the project under active devlopment now?

It has, unfortunately, been rather dormant for the past 6 or 7 months, despite my best efforts to jump-start it.  The issue is probably a combination of it being extremely ambitious, and me not taking things far enough that it becomes self-sustaining.

People have periodically expressed strong interest in contributing, but this has not yet translated into an active self-sustaining development effort.

Unfortunately, other commitments (ie. my day job) limit time time I'm able to spend on it, but I will do what I can to support anyone who wishes to contribute.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, SenseArray