Identifying Use Cases

Michael

Dec 11, 2011, 7:27:23 PM12/11/11
to Swarm Discussion
Hey All,

I recently picked up a reason to be very interested in Swarm. It would
benefit me to get Swarm moved further along, but there are some
economic issues in getting it developed to the point where it is as
useful as it should be.

What if we can identify a case where Swarm is useful for a specific
group of people, do the actual development to suit that group of
people and then demonstrate its profitability? Am I speaking sensibly
here?

If we can make Swarm host web services for organizations or groups of
people that do not have a lot of resources or money and can make it
cheaper to host web services on their own equipment rather than with
centralized services such as AWS, perhaps Swarm has a shot.

I suppose that ideally a user has:
A decent amount of bandwidth
A large number of low resource machines
Information or services to disseminate to people
An interest in saving money

Here's the list I came up with:
Schools(Government offices?)
Health organizations serving groups in undeveloped areas(reporting
back health stats and information is valuable)
Government offices

It seems like the concept, if implemented in a certain way, could be
generally marketable. If your bandwidth can handle it, why pay for
hosting when you're already paying for electricity and net access?

I'm going to do a little bit more research when I have the time.

For now I just wanted to get a conversation started.

Thanks!
Michael

Michael

Dec 11, 2011, 7:29:06 PM12/11/11
to Swarm Discussion
Erm, I made some mistakes. Too much caffeine probably.

Michael

Dec 11, 2011, 7:42:56 PM12/11/11
to Swarm Discussion
I can't stop doing this brain dump. Apologies if it ends up being of
no value.

Sensor networks?
+ Could ease programming motes to act collectively
- no real control control of data location in a sensor network.

Smart grid tech?
+ Could ease computation with data from sensors in intelligent grid
apps

Wireless/Telecom Carriers
+ Collection and Computation for data from dispersed switches