Choosing between screen size and memory on new Mac pro

1 view

Ilana Braun

Nov 22, 2023, 2:43:58 PM11/22/23
to sv...@googlegroups.com
Would appreciate advice on MacBook Pro or air purchase to replace a 2015 MacBook Air, 13”, 16 GB. 1 Tb flash drive (I don’t think it’s ssd).
The use is word processing, searching databases like Bloomberg, Lexus, etc. No video processing or such.
Do I still need 16 or 18 GB ram, or the new processors make 8 GB ram enough? The computer will be used with an additional, large, screen. But the use is with two screens at the same time.

In Apple there are only m3 pros and I think an m2 air. my son tends to keep computer for many years (till they break down), and this computer is for a 50 year old, not me.

Can you advise?
Thank you very much
=============
Speak the truth but ride a fast horse. A West Texas cowboy saying.

David Phillip Oster

Nov 22, 2023, 6:57:45 PM11/22/23
to sv...@googlegroups.com
I can assure you that if you were happy with your  2015 MacBook Air with 16 GB, you will be very happy with an Apple Silicon (M1 M2, or M3) Mac with 8GB. Also, the stock configurations are eligible for the black friday discount (in the form of an apple gift card that you can apply to that purchase) from Apple.  Customized configurations, I was told, are not eligible.  I use an M1 GB Air with one built-in and one external screen, and I never get the memory pressure graph at the bottom of Activity Monitor to turn yellow or red - that means it isn't wasting time shuffling data between main memory and storage.

Ilana Braun

Nov 22, 2023, 7:15:32 PM11/22/23
to sv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. I was wondering about the memory configuration, but think indeed 8 will be enough.  Now decision is my son’s.

I am glad you gave me the idea to apply the gift card to the purchase!

Speak the truth but ride a fast horse. A West Texas cowboy saying.

Aol Mail

Nov 22, 2023, 7:49:33 PM11/22/23
to sv...@googlegroups.com