WARNING! Unintended upgrade to macOS Sonoma!

Len Walther

Sep 27, 2023, 10:41:11 AM9/27/23
to SVMUG
I rebooted my Intel MacBook Pro, this morning, and I suddenly was confronted with MacOS Sonoma vineyards wallpaper.!!!  Then, I checked About ths Macintosh, which confirmed that I was running macOS Sonoma!   I HAD NEVER INTENDED THIS!!!!

I did get prompted last night to install iOS 17.0.2 and iPad OS 17.0.2, which I did.  When, my macOS Ventura 13.6 wasn't upgraded to Safari 17 for a couple of hours, I used Dr. Howard Oakley's Silent Knight to install it, which was successful.

I had read warnings  about accidental upgrades to Sonoma, and to read carefully before doing updates.  Not sure what happened, yet.

I have multiple Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner backups, and had made a macOS Ventura 13.6 bootable installer on a USB thumb drive.    So, if I have to, I guess I could revert back to Ventura.

But, for now, I will test macOS Sonoma, and if there are no serious problems, I'll stay on it.

Len W.

Len Walther

Sep 30, 2023, 6:18:53 PM9/30/23
to SVMUG
Looks like I'll be permanently staying on the "accidental" macOS Sonoma.   Been using it for a few days, with no major problems.  Have updated a few utility Apps, have to wait for new versions of some other Apps.  Have now updated a Time Machine backup, and made a brand new Carbon Copy Cloner backup on a reformatted external SSD. Been intensely reading Take Control of Sonoma, by joe Kissell.

Len W.