Biking and Walking News 8-24-12

Ira Weiss

Aug 23, 2012, 8:15:10 PM8/23/12
to co-sustainable groups, sustainable-...@googlegroups.com, sustainable...@googlegroups.com, peak...@simplyliving.org, transit-...@googlegroups.com

Mayor speaking

Biking & Walking News

Ira S. Weiss, Editor                                                       August 24, 2012

ANNOUNCEMENTS

FACT - Friends of Alum Creek and Tributaries commented on Consider Biking's link.

FACT - Friends of Alum Creek and Tributaries wrote: "Alum Creek Greenway Trail users - please travel with caution in far north Columbus/south Westerville during this Saturday from 9am~1pm. Volunteers will be removing invasive Honeysuckle bushes & debris in the 1/5 mile corridor between I-270 & the 'S' bridge. Be careful of debris, various equipment, & many workers. Expect possible delays. Consider detouring via Emrick Road trailhead<>SR-3 bike lanes<>Westerville Crossing/Cooper Road.
Thanks for your consideration & support as we improve this area."

Webinar Series to Highlight AASHTO Bike Guide

Those interested in learning more about the America Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials' Bike Guide may do so through a series of webinars scheduled to begin next week and extend through November. The webinar series is sponsored and hosted by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center.

Each webinar will focus on a different aspect of the Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities (also known as the Bike Guide), which was released in June (and is available for purchase at bit.ly/bikeguide).

The seven-part webinar series schedule is as follows:

  • Aug. 10: Overview of Revised AASHTO Guide for Development of Bicycle Facilities
  • Aug. 22: Bicycle Planning
  • Sept. 4: On-Road Facilities Part 1: Bike Lanes
  • Sept. 18: On-Road Facilities Part 2: Shared Lanes, Paved Shoulders, Bicycle Boulevards, and Traffic Signals
  • Oct. 9: Off-Road Facilities: Shared Use Path Design
  • Oct. 23: Off-Road Facilities: Shared Use Path-Roadway Intersection Design
  • Nov. 6: Maintenance and Operations

Each webinar is free and scheduled from 2 to 3:30 p.m. EDT each day.

Registration for each individual webinar is available at bit.ly/bikeguideweb.  Questions regarding this article may be directed to edi...@aashtojournal.org.

RIDES

Benefit bicycle ride set for man fighting cancer

1:30 AM, Aug 18, 2012

LANCASTER -- Ron Burris said Lancaster Bicycle owner Dan Peters is like a brother to him. So when Peters recently was diagnosed with cancer, the Tour de Cause chairman knew he had to help. "Dan is so well-known and has done so much for other people," Burris said. "Now it's time to do something for him." So, the Dollar for Dan benefit bicycle ride was born. It will be Sept. 1 at Ohio University-Lancaster, with registration from 7 to 9 a.m. The ride will follow the 20-, 40- and 60-mile routes of the Tour de Cause throughout Fairfield County. Riders will pledge $1 per mile they ride and the money will go to Peters. Burris said he expects about 100 riders to participate.

"The response so far has been phenomenal," he said. "We've gotten excellent feedback…" http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20120818/NEWS01/208180301/-1/NLETTER01/Benefit-bicycle-ride-set-for-man-fighting-cancer?source=nletter-news

REGISTRATION FOR THE 4TH ANNUAL PEDAL FOR PETS IS NOW OPEN!

Saturday, September 15

THE EVENT:

Pedal for Pets is CHA's newest fundraiser. It will be held at our shelter at 3765 Corporate Drive, Columbus to take advantage of the Alum Creek Bike trail that runs behind our property. Pedal for Pets routes are for the serious bike riders and families alike.

Our SWAG bags includes our Pedal for Pets water bottle!  Food and drinks available before and after the ride.  One rest stop for the 20 and 40 mile rides.

Our Pedal for Pets bike jersey is also available for purchase.

Time: Registration 7 a.m. Rides start 8 a.m.
WHY WE DO THIS:

We'd like you to join us in celebrating not only the animals at CHA, but also the healthy bond between animals and their guardians. In the ride's first three years, it has raised over $25,000 for homeless pets!  With your help we can create more "Finally Home" stories like this one....

For anybody thinking about adoption, I highly recommend CHA. The cats were all so well cared for and the staff was very helpful. When we lost our beloved cat last April, I swore I would never want another cat. I couldn't imagine any cat filling her spot in our family. I can't believe how quickly all of us have fallen in love with little Veda. She is already a part of the family!

Thanks again for our little Veda,

The Campbell Family

ROUTE DETAILS:

SHORT FAMILY FUN RIDE -START TIME: 10 AM

For families with very young children that would like to support CHA. This is a ride of less than two miles round trip. The complete ride is on a bike trail with no auto traffic. You can extent the ride which would add an additional three miles round trip to the ride.

10 MILE RIDE -START TIME: 10 AM

This ride does require two street crossings, but riders

remain on the trail at all times and "street riding" is limited to just the amount of time it takes to get across the road.

20 MILE RIDE - START TIME: 9 AM

This ride requires multiple street crossings, but is still very family friendly. Food and rest stop provided.

40 MILE RIDE - START TIME: 8 AM

 The 40 mile ride is over bike trails and country roads with rolling terrain highlighting Hoover Reservoir and local horse farms. Food and rest stop provided.

AFTER ALL RIDES:

Drinks, hot dogs and FAZOLI'S spaghetti!

REGISTER ONLINE:
www.PedalforPets.com

Register before the day of the Ride and Receive a Free Pedal for Pets T-Shirt! While They Last!

FUNDRAISING OPPORTUNITY:

Get involved with FirstGiving Online fundraising and make an even bigger difference in the lives of CHA's homeless dogs and cats!

One cause: Cure cancer

by Alicia Ritchey, staff writer - August 20, 2012)

It takes a village to fight cancer. In the case of Pelotonia, this includes riders, donors, sponsors, spectators and volunteers, all on hand at the 25-mile mark in Pickerington Aug. 11.  This was the first year Pickerington was used as a stop, the result of changes in Ohio University’s academic term. With the recent switch from quarter to semester classes, OU was unable to accommodate the riders who would stay in the dorms and return the following day to ride. Due to the change, riders were housed at Kenyon College, which factored into the stopover in Pickerington. “When the planners started laying out the course, Pickerington North High School fell right in the 25-mile range from the start in Columbus Commons, and we at Pickerington North were happy to come on board and help out this worthy cause,” Lead Volunteer Brian Seymour said. According to Seymour, who is also a teacher at PHSN, the community reaction was immense… http://www.columbusmessenger.com/NC/0/11828.html

SAFETY

14-year-old bicyclist taken to hospital after being struck by vehicle

NEWARK -- A 14-year-old bicyclist was treated and released from Licking Memorial Hospital on Tuesday after he was struck by a vehicle… http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20120822/NEWS01/208220305/14-year-old-bicyclist-taken-hospital-after-being-struck-by-vehicle

Life in the fast lane

Parking on High Street through Downtown would spur redevelopment

Monday, August 20, 2012 05:46 AM

The controversy over Columbus’ plan to allow on-street parking in a prime section of High Street currently reserved for buses boils down to this: Should any one group get preferential treatment on the road? How about bus riders, who can shave commuting time by getting dibs on the curb lane?... http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2012/08/20/life-in-the-fast-lane.html

HEALTH – Nothing this issue

LOCAL NEWS

Chuck Harris | 1935-2012: Gambier cycling enthusiast was always looking behind

Wednesday August 22, 2012 5:20 AM

Chuck Harris was known nationally and among Ohio bicycle enthusiasts for his innovations in making customized rearview mirrors for helmets. He was a colorful fixture at bike tours in Ohio, where “the Mirror Man” would show up with his brown VW bus and handmade grinding machine... http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/22/gambier-cycling-enthusiast-dies.html

Drought’s been good for highway builders

Without usual weather delays, some central Ohio road projects are completed ahead of schedule

Sunday, August 19, 2012 03:17 AM

Amid the bulldozers, backhoes and cranes, a water truck made its way through the I-71/670 construction zone last week to tame the dusty earth around new highway lanes. If that water were raining down from a dark sky, this might be a different story, one about lost work days and project delays… http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/19/droughts-been-goodfor-highway-builders.html

Tamarack Circle

Residents: Bike lanes OK, parking not

By KEVIN PARKS

ThisWeek Community News Wednesday August 22, 2012 10:59 AM

The addition of bike lanes to Tamarack Circle was welcome and anticipated. The abrupt transformation of the outer travel lane into parking spaces was not. "Nobody knew anything was coming in this neighborhood," Forest Park resident Vicky Smith said last week. "We just thought they were repaving Tamarack Circle, which needed it. We've never had parking on Tamarack Circle ever before, and I've lived up here for 30 years." Although it's the most direct route for many of the trips she takes, Smith said she plans to avoid Tamarack Circle from now on. "It's just confusing," she said. "It's a mess." City officials notified former Northland Community Council president and Forest Park resident Dave Paul that bike lanes would be added as part of the resurfacing for Tamarack Circle, according to Forest Park Civic Association president Mike Stone. "I think that was something that was very well-received," he said. "What caught us off guard is the fact that it also created a seismic shift in terms of the traffic patterns around Tamarack. No one was prepared for that and, quite frankly, we don't feel we got any kind of notice about it… http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/northland/news/2012/08/21/tamarack-circle-residents-bike-lanes-ok-parking-not.html

'Southern Gateway to Central Ohio'

Interchange opening caps $47.9 million project

By MARK DUBOVEC

ThisWeek Community News Wednesday August 22, 2012 9:54 AM

State, local and regional officials are calling it the "Southern Gateway to Central Ohio." Construction of the new single-point urban interchange at the intersection of Interstate 71 and state Route 665 is complete, and on Thursday, Aug. 16, stakeholders from Grove City, the Ohio Department of Transportation, the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission, the Ohio Public Works Commission and other entities gathered at the site to commemorate its opening. Grove City Mayor Richard "Ike" Stage said the project had been in the works for close to 12 years. "This has been a long journey," he said. "It's been one of those projects where perseverance and patience paid off. ... It's taken a lot of people, a lot of organizations, a lot of groups." The previous interchange originally was built in 1958 and comprised of two lanes of traffic. The new interchange has seven lanes and a multi-use path for bicycle and foot traffic… http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/grovecity/news/2012/08/21/southern-gateway-to-central-ohio-interchange-opening-caps-47-9-million-project.html

A year makes a big difference for parks

LANCASTER -- The Fairfield County Historical Parks District was in a precarious position this time in 2011… http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20120819/NEWS01/208190302/A-year-makes-big-difference-parks

Turn lane, sidewalks could be added to Chatterton Road

By MICHAEL HAYES

THISWEEKNEWS.COM Wednesday August 22, 2012 3:54 PM

Madison Township trustees voted 3-0 last week to apply for Ohio Public Works Commission funds to pay for improvements to Chatterton Road between Fontaine and Reynard roads. Franklin County Highway Design Engineer Cornell Robertson said the project is estimated to cost $5 million and would include adding a turn lane and sidewalks. He asked trustees at their Aug. 13 meeting to consider applying for OPWC funds on behalf of the county and provided two options. "The county engineer's (office) could be the applicant with a letter of support from the township trustees or the other option is where the trustees (can) be the applicant," he said. He said if Madison Township were to be the applicant, the county would still be in charge of the bid process and the construction agenda… http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/reynoldsburg/news/2012/08/22/near-trurotownship-turn-lane-sidewalks-could-be-added-to-chatterton-road.html

Local student sees country from two wheels

By ALAN FROMAN

ThisWeek Community News Wednesday August 22, 2012 9:19 AM

The summer of 2012 will be one Jameson Lowery will never forget. "It was probably the best summer of my life," said Lowery, an Upper Arlington resident and member of Trinity United Methodist Church. Lowery traveled by bike from San Francisco to Washington, D.C., this summer as part of Push America's Journey of Hope. Push America, an outreach program of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, raises money and awareness for people with disabilities. A Miami University student, Lowery was one of about 90 fraternity members from across the country to participate in this year's Journey of Hope. Lowery raised $9,681 prior to beginning the two-month trek. "It was everything I thought it would be and more," he said. "Doing something like this kind of changes your perspective of the world and of life…" http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/grandview/news/2012/08/21/local-student-sees-country-from-two-wheels.html

West Dublin-Granville Road

Columbus to consider placing shared path on south side of road

By GARY SEMAN JR.

ThisWeek Community News Wednesday August 22, 2012 8:32 AM

Columbus is open to the possibility of placing a shared-use path on the south side of West Dublin-Granville Road. The city has taken a closer look at crossing options, land acquisition, environmental concerns and other major issues on the south side of the roadway, said Nick Popa, an engineer with Columbus. "So we're assessing everything we've assessed on the north side," he said. Meanwhile, representatives from Perry Township and the city of Worthington have formed a working group to determine specific concerns and decide what is acceptable. "We're appreciative the city of Columbus is willing to be flexible at looking at all the options that could be on the table," Perry Township Trustee Chet Chaney said. "We were a little confused because we weren't officially informed at the beginning." The group will meet over the next couple months and future discussions will include other interested parties, including residents, business owners and land owners, such as Ohio State University. "Our expectations for the process is we're going to all work together toward a project that works best for the multiple communities along the corridor," said Matt Greeson, Worthington city manager. "I have every expectation that will occur," he said… http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2012/08/21/west-dublin-granville-road-columbus-to-consider-placing-shared-path-on-south-side-of-road.html

Worthington boy's feat leads to viral video, bike donation

By CANDY BROOKS

ThisWeek Community News Wednesday August 22, 2012 10:55 AM

Matt Woodrum spends his life defying odds. That his 15 minutes of fame has stretched to months -- with shows no sign of stopping -- is not surprising. Last week, the feisty 11-year-old received a specially designed, one-of-a-kind bicycle from a couple who had transported it from Wilmington, Del., to Worthington to present it in person. On Aug. 26, ESPN will air a 10-minute documentary on the life of Woodrum, the young man whose tenacity and courage captured the hearts of people worldwide when a video of him running a 400-meter race went viral May 14… http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/northland/news/2012/08/21/youtube-sensation-worthington-boys-feat-leads-to-viral-video-bike-donation.html

SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL

Navigating MAP-21: Safe Routes to School

When I was a kid, I always wanted to ride my bike to school or to my best friend's house. I always thought my mom was being unfair that she wouldn't let me.  Of course, I lived in the country and it was a good 10 miles on a two-lane state highway full of semi trucks, so in retrospect my mom was probably making the right choice for my safety.

But, today, too many parents are making the same choice as my mom, even when they live less than a mile from school. Why? Lack of sidewalks and safe crossings, concerns about stranger danger, high traffic levels and more.

For the past eight years, Safe Routes to School, funded by the federal transportation bill and powered by parents and advocates across the country, has started to turn that tide.

Sidewalks, bike paths and crosswalks are getting built, parents are rethinking their trip to school, and more kids are getting to school under their own power. And now? These projects are at risk of not being funded, because Safe Routes to School wasn't included as a specific set aside in MAP-21, like the last transportation bill.

As we explained two weeks ago, the sandbox of federal funding for bicycling and walking has shrunk by nearly 30 percent -- and now there's a whole lot more players trying to fill their pails. In 2011, Safe Routes to School was its own stand-alone program with $202 million in funding. Now it's been tossed into the larger Transportation Alternatives program, where it will have to compete for its share of the $800 million pot with a huge array of biking, walking and road projects.

That means your state department of transportation has a choice. They can pay for a Safe Routes to School coordinator -- but they don't necessarily HAVE to. They could shift those dollars to environmental mitigation on a new highway interchange. The same holds for Safe Routes programs in your community, at your child's school. Leaders at the state DOT could invest in crosswalks and sidewalks at your local elementary school - OR they could use that funding for any of the dozens of uses allowed under the TA program.

Because those federal dollars aren't specifically dedicated to Safe Routes anymore, we have to show that WE ARE!

More than ever, advocates will play a crucial role in the continuation of Safe Routes programs under MAP-21. To that end, we're working with organizations and leaders in your state to ensure a powerful and effective campaign to convince your state DOT that our children are priceless and the small investment in Safe Routes programs can pay-off with a lifetime of health.

To learn more about Safe Routes under MAP-21 and how you can get involved, join the Safe Routes to School National Partnership for a free webinar on August 27 at 2 p.m. Eastern. Click here to learn more and register. https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/930589602532147968

Let's work together to ensure federal transportation dollars are spent wisely, building Safe Routes to School.

Sincerely,

Margo Pedroso
Deputy Director,
Safe Routes to School National Partnership

The League is working closely with partners like the Safe Routes to School National Partnership to win the best results for bicyclists in the new transportation law.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, recognized with 2012 Safe Routes to School Award

Annual award bestows highest honor on a U.S. SRTS program

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (August 22, 2012) – A Safe Routes to School program in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, has been awarded the annual James L. Oberstar Safe Routes to School Award, the highest honor a Safe Routes to School program can receive.

Each year, the National Center for Safe Routes to School bestows the Award to a Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program in the United States for its outstanding achievement in promoting safe walking and bicycling to school.

“The selection committee was very impressed with the breadth and depth of Chagrin Falls’ program,” said Lauren Marchetti, director of the National Center for Safe Routes to School. “They really did it all. Their creative approach spanned the “5 E’s” that are ideal for any SRTS program: engineering and infrastructure, enforcement, safety education, encouragement and evaluation.”

Although 66 percent of students in Chagrin Falls live within 2 miles of school, less than 17 percent of students walked or biked to school in 2009. Now, 26 percent of students regularly walk or bike to school, equivalent to an extra 70 students every day.

Program leaders surveyed parents and identified a lack of continuous sidewalks, dangerous street crossings, and personal safety as key obstacles to children walking and bicycling to school.

Using this information, the program:

  • Improved the safety of the most commonly-used routes to school by building sidewalks, improving snow removal, enforcing school zone speed limits and implementing a “no right on red” policy at key intersections during school hours
  • Employed volunteer crossing guards to guide students through intersections near the school
  • Provided creative safety education programs and assemblies for students using the local community theater and student-to-student outreach campaigns

Safe Routes to School Chagrin Falls received Federal SRTS funding to support the installation of new sidewalks and school paths, bike racks, school zone signage and pavement markings; safety assemblies and other student outreach programs; a new Safe Houses program that identified safe places for children who need to find an adult; equipment and training for crossing guards; promotional and educational materials; and support for encouragement programs like contests and Walk/Bike to School events.

The Award Selection Committee felt that three other programs deserved special recognition:

  • The City of Takoma Park, Maryland’s Safe Routes to School program has developed Safe Routes to School at five area schools by establishing an SRTS brand and school-based programming, and by promoting long-term program sustainability with funds raised through a year-long walking and running program that culminates in a city-wide 5K road race, 5K walk and youth and fun runs.
  • Brightwood Elementary School in Springfield, Mass., implemented a Walking School Bus program to successfully address challenges of childhood obesity, neighborhood safety, absenteeism and tardiness. The program, which has increased participation from 50 students to 130, has become a model for other area schools that want to make positive community changes with few resources.
  • Corrales Elementary School in the Village of Corrales, N.M., is bordered by a busy highway. The SRTS program addressed this infrastructure challenge with a unique approach that included the engagement of the entire community, raising the percentage of students regularly walking and biking to school from 5 percent to 25 percent.

2012 Award applicants were reviewed and selected by a committee comprised of representatives from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), the National PTA, the Safe Routes to School National Partnership, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the National Center for Safe Routes to School.

OTHER NEWS

Government frees up transportation money

By  Jessica Wehrman

The Columbus Dispatch Saturday August 18, 2012 5:54 AM

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is pushing states to use $473 million in unspent earmarks for transportation projects, including $12.5 million in Ohio. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced yesterday that the administration would release unspent money to the states in order to allow it to be spent on other transportation projects. The announcement didn’t mean new money; instead, it is money lawmakers had “earmarked” or targeted for specific projects that now can be used for other state transportation priorities. The administration said the announcement aimed to stimulate local economies by allowing new transportation projects to begin. “We’re releasing these funds so Ohio can get down to the business of moving transportation projects forward and putting our friends and neighbors back to work,” LaHood said…  http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/18/government-frees-up-transportation-money.html

Charter One grants will aid projects in Lakewood's Birdtown, retail and bike initiatives in Cleveland

Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 2:00 PM     Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 2:12 PM

By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Transit and small-business projects in Lakewood and Cleveland will benefit from $100,000 in grants aimed at revitalizing neighborhoods and spurring development in cities. Two years after launching its Growing Communities grant program in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood, the Charter One Foundation is stretching into the suburbs. A $27,000 grant will go to LakewoodAlive, a nonprofit economic-development group, to add bus shelters, benches, bicycle racks, trash bins and artwork in Lakewood's historic Birdtown neighborhood, one of the city's few lower-income districts. In Cleveland, a $42,000 grant will cover the costs of making bike-storage boxes from shipping containers and placing them in the Tremont, St. Clair Superior and Detroit Shoreway neighborhoods. And a $35,000 grant will support a plan to bring 10 businesses into vacant storefronts along two barren blocks of St. Clair Avenue… http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/08/charter_one_grants_will_aid_pr.html

Meet the inflatable, 'invisible' bike helmet

By Doug Gross, CNN

Hey, cyclists! Want to look more stylish while riding and still avoid the inconvenience of a cracked skull? Then a pair of Swedish designers have got just the helmet for you - provided you're willing to fork over about $600 and aren't afraid of looking a little like a deployed airbag when you fall. The newly released Hovding (no, Americans, that's not a futon from Ikea) is billed as The Invisible Bicycle Helmet. Begun in 2005 as a project for a master's-level industrial design course,  the blow-up helmet is housed in a pouch that, when wrapped around your neck, looks a little like a puffed-up ski-jacket collar… http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/17/meet-the-inflatable-invisible-bike-helmet/

Bicycle Lanes Draw Wide Support Among New Yorkers, Survey Finds

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM and MARJORIE CONNELLY
Published: August 21, 2012

Bicycle lanes may be little more than painted stripes on concrete, but in New York City, they have become the stuff of lawsuits, neighborhood squabbles and tense debates over the proper role of government. Now, six years after the Bloomberg administration began its controversial campaign to edit the city’s streetscape, adding 255 miles of bicycle lanes onto streets previously dedicated to automobiles, a hard-fought acceptance for the lanes may finally be at hand. When asked simply whether the bike lanes were a good idea or a bad idea, 66 percent of New Yorkers said they were a good idea, according to a new poll by The New York Times. A majority in all boroughs said they thought the lanes were a good idea, with support highest in Manhattan. Twenty-seven percent of residents called the lanes a bad idea, and 7 percent had no opinion or did not answer. The poll results suggest that residents have gradually become accustomed to bike lanes, which have been frequent targets of tabloid ire and are already emerging as a flash point in the 2013 mayoral race… http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyregion/most-new-yorkers-say-bike-lanes-are-a-good-idea.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share

New York City bike sharing delayed till next spring

By Channtal Fleischfresser | August 20, 2012, 3:30 AM PDT

Cycling in New York City can be daunting, but for many facing gridlock and crowded subways, bikes might just be the best way to get around town. New York’s very own bike sharing program was supposed to have begun last month. But last Friday New York’s mayor, Michael Bloomberg, announced that the Citi Bike program is on hold until next spring. He blamed the delay on software problems. Bloomberg said he hoped they would be resolved by March 2013, the new launch date. According to the city’s transportation department, the bike-sharing program, which uses $41 million of private funding from Citi, will start with 7,000 bikes at 420 locations. Under the original plan, the initial launch was to happen in July, expanding to 10,000 bikes at 600 stations by next summer…  http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/transportation/new-york-city-bike-sharing-delayed-till-next-spring/1768?tag=nl.e660

Past issues are available here:  http://www.considerbiking.org/category/newsletters/

Contact Information

Web site - www.considerbiking.org

Facebook - Facebook Page change to http://www.facebook.com/considerbiking