Call for Volunteers: Annual Olentangy River Clean-Up 8/17/24

1 view

Anna Willow

Jul 12, 2024, 9:05:03 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to sustainable-...@googlegroups.com

I'm forwarding this message from Lisa Roberts, City of Delaware Sustainability Coordinator:

Hello friends!  We are looking for volunteers for our Annual Olentangy River Clean-Up. If interested, please read the following details carefully, and be sure to register through the link found below.  We hope you can join us to help keep our beloved Olentangy River beautiful and scenic!

Registration is required for participation. We can only accommodate 50 volunteers. Please register via the link below.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2024-olentangy-watershed-river-clean-up-tickets-934713091017

Attached you will find the required waivers that must be completed to participate.  You may email these back to me prior to the day of the event. Paper waivers will also be on site on the morning of the clean-up for you to sign if you need to do so in person.

Event Details:

When: Saturday, August 17, 2024, 9 am-12pm. If the weather is inclement (severe thunderstorms, excessively high temperatures, high river levels, etc.) then the event will be cancelled.

Where:

Mingo Park Canoe Launch Access

500 E. Lincoln Ave.

Delaware, OH 43015.

“R” Registration will be at the Canoe Launch Access Point. Please “P” Park in the Parking Areas as seen on the map below.

image.png

What to wear: Please wear sturdy, close-toed shoes that can get wet, along with clothes that can get wet or dirty. No bare feet or flip flops will be allowed.

What to bring: Sunscreen, sunglasses and/or a hat, bug spray, and a reusable water bottle (a drinking water refill station will be available for you to fill up your water bottle).

What you need to know: Equipment will be provided, including trash grabbers, gloves, and trash bags. You should expect to wade through the river to look for trash; there may be some areas where it's not possible to walk on the riverbank, and where you must wade through water. Walking through the Olentangy can be tricky. There are often slippery rocks to walk across, which can be difficult to see. Please plan accordingly.

This is a partnership between the City of Delaware, the Olentangy Watershed Alliance (OWA), Keep Delaware County Beautiful, the Delaware Public Health District, and Friends of the Lower Olentangy Watershed (FLOW).

Feel free to spread the word and share the flyer with those who might be interested. We look forward to seeing you there! Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

With Kind Regards,

Lisa Roberts

Watershed & Sustainability Coordinator

City of Delaware