June 2022 Sustainability Events Calendar

Annette Mills

Jun 1, 2022, 1:38:05 AM6/1/22
to sustainabl...@googlegroups.com, sustainable-corva...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends of Sustainability,

Please take a look at the June 2022 Sustainability Events Calendar (attached and pasted below), and forward this message to your organization and to anyone you know who may be interested. All events are also listed at Upcoming Events in the Community (sustainablecorvallis.org).

Thank you for helping to spread the word about these great opportunities to connect with our community!

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director (she/her/hers)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, the Kalapuya live on tribal lands or tribal-ceded lands throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

SUSTAINABILITY EVENTS CALENDAR

June 2022

Events for people who want to learn about and get involved with efforts to make

Corvallis and Benton County sustainable communities

MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, or FRIDAY (1 - 3 pm or 7 - 9 pm) You choose date and time!
HOME RETROFIT CLINIC
Nancy Evenson, a retired architect, is offering free home retrofit clinics to help people move along the path toward increased energy efficiency.  During a personalized 2-hour session, Nancy will analyze your home’s current use of energy and help you identify the most important upgrades and the incentives that help you get there. To learn more about the retrofit clinics, email retr...@evensonarchitecture.com or visit sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/housing/retrofit/

Contact: retr...@evensonarchitecture.com

Sponsor: Corvallis Sustainability Coalition Housing Action Team

THUR, JUNE 2 (7:30 am)
SPRING INTO HOUSING FUNDRAISING BREAKFAST

Join us in person or virtually for our annual fundraiser breakfast at the Corvallis Community Center featuring information about our new Third Street Commons Project, stories from residents, and a presentation on the roots of the houselessness crisis by Pegge McGuire. Doors open at 7:00 am.

Contact: Register at www.corvallishousingfirst.org
Sponsor: Corvallis Housing First

SAT, JUNE 4 (10 am – 2 pm)

BEES AND TREES

Enjoy a fun family nature event! It includes: Bee Educational Presentations, Tree planting and information, Family friendly activities, music, flower starts and seeds available by donation, honey available, and treats by Hiatt Farm.

At Willamette Community and Grange Hall27555 Greenberry Rd.  (Corner of 99W and Greenberry Rd.)

Contact: 541-609-8335

Sponsor: Willamette Grange #52

SAT, JUNE 4 (10 am)
FIELD TRIP

Field trip in search of Delphinium pavonaceum, a Willamette valley endemic in our area. We will meet at the parking lot of Wilkinson Hall on OSU campus, across from Allan’s Coffee & Tea at 10 am. Bring water and lunch.
Contact: 541-990-0948 or esth...@peak.org
Sponsor: Corvallis chapter, Native Plant Society of Oregon

SAT, JUNE 11 (9 am)
FIELD TRIP TO HORSE RIDGE, LED BY BRUCE WAUGH

Meet 9 am at the Wilkinson Hall parking lot on the OSU campus to carpool or 10 am at the Crawfordsville covered bridge in Crawfordsville, Oregon. Field trip to Horse Rock Ridge, a floristic hot spot. Poles, water and a packed lunch are recommended as it will be an all day trip.
Contact: 541-990-0948 or esth...@peak.org
Sponsor: Corvallis chapter, Native Plant Society of Oregon

SAT, JUNE 11 (1 – 4 pm)

2nd SATURDAY ARTS DAY: HANDMADE PAPER PROJECT

June is Pride Month. Come create a piece of handmade paper in your favorite rainbow color.

At The Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Ave.

Contact: da...@theartscenter.net

Sponsor: The Arts Center

SAT, JUN 12 (8 am – 12 pm)

AUDUBON FIELD TRIP

Led by Duncan Evered and Caryn Stoess. Destination TBA

Meet at Willamette Park Shelter, east end of SE Goodnight Ave.

Registration required

Contact: CorvallisAudubo...@gmail.com

Sponsor: Audubon Society of Corvallis

SUN, JUNE 12 (10 am to 12 noon)
AVERY HOUSE NATIVE PLANT GARDEN WORK PARTY

Come help bark the paths, weed, and fix the fencing. At Avery House Nature Center in Avery Park, Corvallis.
Contact: 541-990-0948 or esth...@peak.org
Sponsor: Corvallis chapter, Native Plant Society of Oregon

MON, JUNE 13 (11 am – 8 pm)

SUM FUN TAP TALK - 500 WOMEN SCIENTISTS DINE-OUT FUNDRAISER

Help us promote and advocate for women and members of marginalized and impacted communities. For each purchase of delicious food and drinks from Common Fields, funds will be donated to 500 Women Scientists Ukraine and Poland.

5-6 pm: Participate in a writing session hosted by Penny Rosenberg, Editor of the Gazette-Times, with info sheets and other resources for writing impactful statements.

6-7 pm: Emily Pinckney, Executive Director of 500 Women Scientists, will discuss how to navigate around systemic barriers to community decision-making, using examples from her environmental justice work in Washington.

At Common Fields (545 SW 3rd St, Corvallis) and livestreamed at https://www.instagram.com/500womenscientists_corvallis/

Contact: https://linktr.ee/500WSCorvallis

Sponsor: 500 Women Scientists Corvallis

SAT, JUNE 18 (10 am)
FIELD TRIP TO MARYS PEAK WITH PHIL HAYS AND ESTHER MCEVOY

We’ll look at plants along the trail from the campground to the summit and back.
Meet at 9 am at the Wilkinson Hall parking lot on the OSU campus to carpool or at 10 am at the parking lot of the campground on Marys Peak. It’s about a 3-mile hike. Come prepared for the weather, and bring a lunch.
Contact: 541-990-0948 or esth...@peak.org
Sponsor: Corvallis chapter, Native Plant Society of Oregon

SAT, JUNE 18 (12 noon – 5 pm)

INTERNATIONAL BAZAAR

A market for reused and recycled goods from around the world that supports cultural convergence, knowledge, and peace within our community.

At the Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center, 2638 NW Jackson Ave, Corvallis

Contact: in...@cmlcenter.org

Sponsor: Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center

SAT, JUNE 18 (5:30 pm)
MUSIC ON THE LAND

Join us for a joyous celebration of words, music and community as our annual outdoor concert returns for the first time since 2019! Featured will be Oregon Poet Laureate Anis Mojgani, Chapwititi Marimba Ensemble, and The Sugar Beets. Bike, walk, or grab a shuttle from the fairgrounds. Buy some delicious food, wine and beer from local favorites or bring your own picnic, but please leave your furry friends at home (i.e., no dogs allowed).
At Bald Hill Farm
Register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/music-on-the-land-tickets-323362514987
Contact: mben...@greenbeltlandtrust.org
Sponsor: Greenbelt Land Trust

SAT, JUNE 25 (8:00 am)
FIELD TRIP: IRON MOUNTAIN AND CONE PEAK, LED BY DAN LUOMA

Hike the Iron Mountain–Cone Peak loop, identifying wildflowers in this botanical hotspot. The loop is about 5 miles, through moderately difficult terrain. It takes all day since we go so slowly, looking at all the flowers. Bring a lunch and water, dress for the weather, and wear sturdy shoes.
Meet at the OSU Wilkinson Hall parking lot, southwest of Allan’s Coffee & Tea at 26th and Monroe. Vaccinations or masks required for carpooling.
Contact for more information and to RSVP: 541-752-8860 or luo...@fsl.orst.edu.
Sponsor: Corvallis chapter, Native Plant Society of Oregon

WED, JUNE 29 (12 noon – 1:30 pm)

FINDING SAFETY IN A HOUSELESS WORLD

Join us for the moving and eye-opening story of SafePlace – proof that people in the housed community can effectively help fill the needs of our fellow unhoused community members who are seeking safety and support.

Go to sustainablecorvallis.org for Zoom link

Contact: in...@sustainablecorvallis.org

Sponsors: Corvallis Sustainability Coalition Housing Action Team and Unity Shelter

June_2022_Words_Only_Calendar.pdf