Climate-Friendly and Equitable Communities Process - Carbon Reduction Goals

Annette Mills

May 3, 2024, 11:47:38 PMMay 3
to Sustainability Coalition Land Use Action Team, sustainable-corvallis-transportation

Hello, Land Use Action Team and Transportation Action Team,

Corvallis is one of the metro areas that is being required by the state to start establishing carbon reduction measures and goals in 2024, related to Climate-Friendly and Equitable Communities: CFEC_Greenhouse_Gas_Performance_Targets_Overview.pdf (oregon.gov) (also attached). PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT!

I think we may want to have a joint meeting (either in person or via Zoom) with Community Development Director Paul Bilotta, who will undoubtedly be the City’s point person on this project – although there’s a lot in here about transportation so Public Works staff will also be involved. It would be helpful for us to understand exactly what the City’s plan is for meeting this requirement, including public engagement opportunities.

What do you think?

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director (she/her/hers)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237 (No texting, please)

ami...@willamettewatershed.com

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, the Kalapuya live on tribal lands or tribal-ceded lands throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.

CFEC_Greenhouse_Gas_Performance_Targets_Overview.pdf

Wendy Byrne

May 5, 2024, 9:21:54 AMMay 5
to Annette Mills, Sustainability Coalition Land Use Action Team, sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Yes, yes we need to find out how to apply more pressure to the City to prioritize projects that improve our active transportation and transit networks! Meeting with Paul B is a good idea as he is at the forefront of this for Corvallis already. And as our TSP will be undergoing changes, we will want to determine who, within PW, will be the point person for that.

How can I help?

-Wendy

--
——————
Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is a hub in a regional transportation system that includes sustainable transportation modes for people and goods.

sustainablecorvallis.org/what-we-do/action-teams/transportation
---

Charlyn Ellis

May 5, 2024, 12:18:33 PMMay 5
to Wendy Byrne, Annette Mills, Sustainability Coalition Land Use Action Team, sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Paul came to the last climate meeting and left us with a bunch of links to organizations and state offices for more information. Maybe spending some time there first-- like Dave won't meet with people before they do their homework!-- to focus the discussion.

I believe Adam Steele will be leading the TSP discussion.

Nick Meltzer

May 7, 2024, 12:56:10 PMMay 7
to Charlyn Ellis, Wendy Byrne, Annette Mills, Sustainability Coalition Land Use Action Team, sustainable-corvallis-transportation

Hi All,

We (OCWCOG) assisted Corvallis with some of the climate friendly work so have been tuned into the schedule. The city has a website here: https://www.corvallisoregon.gov/cd/page/oregon-climate-friendly-and-equitable-communities-program

The CFA study to identify draft areas was due at the end of last year, and the report can be found on both DLCD and Corvalls’ website. The changes to the land use and development code will be happening this calendar year and are due by December 31, 2024. I believe most of those discussions will happen at the Planning Commission level, but city planning staff would be the best contact for that. I haven’t heard firm dates on TSP updates, but I’d guess that will start sometime in 2025 and will have public engagement requirements (and will be more of a complete overhaul than light update).

-Nick

Nick Meltzer (he/him)

Cascades West Transportation Manager

AAMPO | CAMPO | CWACT

LB Loop | Cascades West TO

O: 541-758-1911

The Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments mission is to promote a thriving region through service, connectivity and innovation.