No "Bikes on Roadway" signs on SE 3rd Street?

Dave Hockman-Wert

Jul 10, 2021, 12:00:18 AM7/10/21
to Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Hi bike safety/sustainable transportation folks,

I rode from Avery Park to the Block 15 Tap Room this afternoon, and found the bike lane on SE 3rd Street blocked off in a number of places due to construction on the sidewalks and roadway.

That's to be expected from time to time.  What I found strange was that I didn't see any "Bikes on Roadway" signs like I remember seeing in the past.  Instead, there were signs that said "Abrupt Edge Ahead" or something like that.  Given that the entire bike lane and sidewalk was then blocked off by traffic cones and construction, forcing bikes to take the main auto lanes, it seemed odd to me that no warning was being given to cars to expect bikers in "their" lanes.

Does anyone know if this is the "new normal" for signage, or if it's an oversight, or what?  It doesn't seem like a very safe way to do things.  Also, if I just missed some existing "Bikes in Roadway" signs, please let me know.  It's possible, but since I experienced the same issue going south *and* north, and only noticed the "Abrupt Edge" signs, I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks,
Dave Hockman-Wert

David Rabinowitz

Jul 10, 2021, 9:40:07 AM7/10/21
to Dave Hockman-Wert, Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Hi,
I often find that these "Bikes on Roadway" signs are placed in the middle of the
bike lane, forcing bikes into the street even before construction starts. Perhaps a
temporary stencil on the road would be a safer warning. If someone could make one
it could be used in a test.

Dave

Dave Hockman-Wert

Jul 10, 2021, 11:37:58 AM7/10/21
to David Rabinowitz, Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
I agree that it's annoying/ironic/counter-productive for those signs to be taking up the bike lane (and Jay T wrote to me saying they're not supposed to put them there), but all in all I'd rather have them be there -- and very visible for car drivers (and bikers) so as to prepare for the upcoming full closure -- than not.  I fear a stencil on the ground wouldn't be noticed and therefore not of much use.

Dave

--
——————
Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is a hub in a regional transportation system that includes sustainable transportation modes for people and goods.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/transportation/
---

Annette Mills

Jul 10, 2021, 2:27:32 PM7/10/21
to Dave Hockman-Wert, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation, James.F...@odot.state.or.us, corvallis...@googlegroups.com

Dave, thank you for contacting us.

I’d like to loop in James Feldmann, who works for ODOT and whose work focuses on South Corvallis.

James, please respond to Dave’s concerns, and let us know what is planned for this and future bike lane closures.

Thanks,

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

--
Share information about building a Vision Zero community in Corvallis. Encouragement, education, enforcement, engineering, advocacy, infrastructure needs, etc. Events and meetings to continue the conversation. Associated calendar of events as a clearinghouse for bike culture in Corvallis.
---