Cycling skills workshop on Saturday afternoon

Jay Thatcher

Feb 14, 2023, 1:35:51 PM2/14/23
to Transportation Action Team List, corval...@googlegroups.com, mvbc-a...@googlegroups.com, Jay T.
The cycling skills workshop on Saturday afternoon is planned for the playground behind Garfield School.  I suggest you enter from Dixon St. on the west side.

We'll start at 2:30 and finish around 4 pm.  You'll be welcome to leave when you've learned and shared enough to satisfy yourself.  Come prepared to ride with bicycle and helmet on the playground and on some of the surrounding streets in that day's weather.  Current prediction is for cloudy with temperatures in the mid-40's F.

If you let me know you're coming, I can bring enough refreshments for you.  To include someone else you think would be good, please invite them.

Jay Thatcher
Corvallis, OR

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 07:54:16 PM PST, Jay Thatcher <jth...@peak.org> wrote:

to a variety of people and lists interested in Smart Cycling and how to teach it:

Please come to a practical seminar on the afternoon of 2/18/2023 in hazard avoidance and other skills for bicycle riding.  We'll include Quick Stop, Rock Dodge, Instant Turn, and Avoidance Weave along with Scan (shoulder check), signaling, starting, stopping, choosing a lane and a position in the lane.  These are field experiences the League of American Bicyclists uses as part of Smart Cycling classes.  Several of them are commonly taught in children's bike safety classes.

Together with the content on the Bike League’s website, this provides a set of knowledge and skills for next level cycling.  This course develops the ability to thrive in any sort of urban traffic.  If you’ve taken part in a Parks & Recreation youth Bike Camp or a bike safety class through local schools, this is the next step to advance your skills.  If you’ve taken an adult cycling class or been a school bike safety volunteer, this would probably be a refresher seminar.

Evaluation of your skill is optional.  Paired with the content and exam from this link, it qualifies one for a League SmartCycling certificate.  If you then have an interest in teaching cycling to others, the certificate is an on ramp to the Bike League’s League Cycling instruction seminars.  Only occasionally is a seminar offered in the Pacific Northwest.  One is planned for Seattle at the end of March.

Corvallis School District is preparing a couple of new instructors for their Bike Safety Education program.  We are planning to open this session up to all comers.

If you let me know you're coming, I can bring enough refreshments for you.  To include someone else you think would be good, please invite them.  Once I scout out a good location, I’ll announce it to the same lists and to any who’ve let me know their interest.

The plan is to hold this session on Saturday afternoon, 2/18 at 2:30 pm.  Once I scout out a good location, I’ll announce it to these same lists and to anyone who’s shown interest.  In case of treacherous weather or a need for follow up instruction, I’m holding the afternoon of Sunday, 2/26 for a possible second session.

I like to get paid for my teaching work.  Corvallis Schools are paying me a bit, plus a donor gave some money to support cycling education in our area.  I'll offer this now for nothing or a free will donation.  I'm open to suggestions of charities.

Hope to see you there!

--

Jay Thatcher

465 SE Bridgeway

Corvallis, OR 97333
(541)758-9333 home number for voice messages or to actually talk to me

SmartCyclingCorvallis.com League Cycling Instructor with the League of American Bicyclists
Sport Official North American Fastpitch Association, Mid-Valley Softball Umpires Association, and Mid-Valley Soccer Referees Association
Member, Corvallis Friends Meeting

pronouns: he/him/our