FW: States Need to Confront Parking Mandates

Annette Mills

May 20, 2022, 5:27:41 PM5/20/22
to sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com, sustainable-corvallis-transportation, Housing_A...@googlegroups.com

Articles 1 and 4 both do a great job of connecting parking requirements to affordable housing…

This week's original research and news picks from Sightline Institute.

States need to confront parking mandates

Housing shortages don’t stay confined to city limits. Parking reform shouldn’t either.

Why Alaska's top-four primaries are better than top-two

Santa Claus is on the ballot, but that’s only one of the reasons.

A berry Alaska-style election

Practice Alaska’s new election system—with the state’s iconic berries!

Oregon has a chance to sharply cut urban parking mandates

The reform proposal, authorized by the state’s anti-sprawl laws, was voted on this week.

Top News Headlines

Note: Many of the stories we select come from news outlets that require a subscription. Please consider supporting your local and/or favorite publications for full access to their stories. Sightline's own original articles are free to access at all times, thanks to generous donors who support our work.

Twitter

Facebook

Website

Brought to you by Sightline Institute · 1402 3rd Ave Ste 500 · Seattle, WA 98101-2130 · USA. Sightline is a nonprofit, 501(c)3, working to build a sustainable Northwest—a place with strong communities, a green economy, and a healthy environment. Sightline Institute is non-partisan and does not oppose, support, or endorse any political candidate or party.

Add edi...@sightline.org to your address book to ensure our emails reach you. Want to change how you receive these emails?

Click here to Update your newsletter choices and preferences
Or permanently Unsubscribe from ALL Sightline newsletters

David Rabinowitz

Jul 14, 2022, 7:21:48 PM7/14/22
to sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com, sustainable-corvallis-transportation
The Maryland Department of Planning and the Smart Growth Network hosted a webinar
today with Dan Burden about road diets which I attended and is worth watching. The
video of the webinar is available at:

https://smartgrowth.org/designing-road-diets-as-a-tool-for-walkability-and-community-revitalization/

Dave

K A

Jul 16, 2022, 10:56:12 AM7/16/22
to Wendy Byrne, Corvallis SAFE, David Rabinowitz, sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com, sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Thank you, Dave and Wendy.  I also attended the webinar and thought it was worthwhile.

I think a very important takeaway is that a road diet, unlike a human diet emphasizing broccoli and quinoa, can actually feel positive to the non-biking and non-pedestrian community!  It's possible for all parties (drivers, walkers, bikers, businesses, etc.) to benefit.   And a road diet can actually IMPROVE transportation volume and speed for motorists.   For example, roundabouts not only reduce serious accidents but they also mean that motorists don't have to unnecessarily wait for a red light when there's no vehicles or pedestrians.

: )
Kris

Jul 16, 2022, 1:53:46 PM7/16/22
to K A, Wendy Byrne, Corvallis SAFE, David Rabinowitz, sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com, sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Yes I also watched it and was really inspired by the numerous examples that were provided.  It would be interesting to identify potential roads in Corvallis that may be candidates for such transformations.

Laurie Becker

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2022, at 7:56 AM, K A <lady_sn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
——————
Land Use Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is a compact, resilient city with walkable neighborhoods, a vibrant downtown, and diverse natural areas interwoven in urban landscapes, whose community members actively participate in land use planning decisions.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/land-use/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Land Use Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sustainable-corvallis-landuse/DM4PR19MB60493D80A399E2637EBFFDBDFB8A9%40DM4PR19MB6049.namprd19.prod.outlook.com.

Court Smith

Jul 17, 2022, 12:36:08 AM7/17/22
to sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com

It seems the main concept of road diets is structuring them to slow traffic speeds to about 20 mph in town. Thus, every time a road is updated within the city a road diet should be included in the repaving and redesign. The key to a road diet is to narrow lanes. Thus, with each redesign lanes should be reduced to 10' and surplus lanes removed and used for complimentary uses. A road diet should be part of the plan for any new repaving. Cars and trucks have no need to travel at 30+ mph anywhere in the city. The road diet research indicates that with traffic circles and fewer stop signs and lights all traffic travels more swiftly and safely. The main goal should be to get the specifications in Chapter 4.0 in the Land Development Code that specifies street widths and especially the street classification functions the Transportation System Plan changed.

--
Court Smith, 541.753.3335
Let's build an electric future together

David Rabinowitz

Aug 3, 2022, 2:59:30 PM8/3/22
to sustainable-co...@googlegroups.com, housing_a...@googlegroups.com
The author of the new book "Arbitrary Lines: How Zoning Broke the American City and
How to Fix It" gave an online talk yesterday where he discussed the ideas in the
book and answered questions. A recording of the session can be found at

https://www.cnu.org/resources/on-the-park-bench/authors-forum-arbitrary-lines

This page also has links to several other webinar recordings that might be of interest.

Dave