FW: The Strong Towns Digest: Vol. 37 - ENDING PARKING MANDATES edition

Annette Mills

Feb 11, 2023, 5:27:18 PM2/11/23
to Sustainability Coalition Land Use Action Team

From: Lauren at Strong Towns <lau...@strongtowns.org>
Date: Tue, Feb 7, 2023, 8:44 AM
Subject: The Strong Towns Digest: Vol. 37

The End Parking Mandates Edition ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌  ͏ ‌

This Week at Strong Towns

End Parking Mandates & Subsidies

Parking minimums (when city regulations mandate that homes and businesses provide an arbitrary amount of parking) cost the public in the form of extra infrastructure that must service all that parking—but without the taxable value to recoup public investment. Our places deserve better, and the solution is simple: End Parking Mandates. Here are some of the best stories, analysis, and podcasts on this subject to support ending parking mandates in your community.

A decade after Sandpoint, Idaho removed all parking mandates from the books, Planning & Community Development Director Aaron Quall summarizes the benefits the city has seen. Check this piece out to read about four individual success stories and see photos of transformation.

What could all that space that's being used to store vehicles be, if it wasn't covered in pavement? Parks, businesses, gardens, homes... This article is jam-packed with examples of what communities across North America are doing to make use of this otherwise underutilized space.

"BUT WHERE WILL I PARK?" || BY DANIEL HERRIGES

For those of us who rely on a car or truck to support our lifestyle, the call to end parking mandates doesn't have to mean we can't get where we want to go. There will still be parking, even if we eliminate the subsidies that create too much of it. And a freer market may even create new solutions for accessing the services we rely on. Daniel Herriges takes a stab at describing one version of this future.

Strong Towns founder and president Charles Marohn joined the ad-hoc parking committee in his community, and drafted a management plan for parking that could be adapted for any place, big or small. Here it is for your consideration.

Here's a detailed account of how Edmonton became the first major Canadian city to repeal parking minimum mandates. Come for the story, and stay for the seven lessons we can learn from the grassroots effort to pass this change.

Alternate text

THE BOTTOM-UP REVOLUTION || "ENDING PARKING MINIMUMS AND SEEING RESULTS" WITH JONATHAN CURTH

Jonathan Curth is here to talk about ending parking minimums. He’s the development services director for the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas—one of the first U.S. cities to eliminate commercial parking minimums. I don't want to give too much away, but Strong Towns is launching a video about Fayetteville later this week, so this is definitely the story to catch up on.

Alternate text

The Strongest Town Contest

Have people in your community stepped up to try to end parking mandates? Tell us about it in your Strongest Town Contest nomination.

This year, the winner of the Strongest Town contest will get to send two representatives to the Strong Towns National Gathering in May to collect an award on behalf of their community–on our dime. We're also sending our video creator out to this place to make a film about what makes a resilient town!

For the news and stories from this week, visit the website.

STRONGTOWNS.ORG

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Linkedin

Pinterest

Youtube

What did you think of this email?

Love

Like

OK

Dislike

Angry

Strong Towns

1001 Kingwood St, Brainerd, MN 56401, USA