UC Irvine faculty opening: Open Rank Professor of Sustainability, Department of Informatics

Bill Tomlinson

Dec 14, 2022, 8:52:04 PM12/14/22
to sustain...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The Department of Informatics at UC Irvine is hiring in sustainability this year. We would welcome applicants from researchers in Sustainable HCI. A link to the ad and a blurb are included below. Please also forward this message to anyone you know who may be interested.

Thanks very much!
-Bill

---------------

Professor of Sustainability - tenure track/tenured
Informatics / Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences / UC Irvine

The Department of Informatics in the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Irvine (UCI) invites applications for a tenure track/tenured position in Sustainability. The position is open rank.

Our search is intentionally broad. We appreciate scholarship of all varieties, whether empirical, technological, methodological, or analytical in nature. We welcome applicants who have worked in Sustainable HCI, Sustainable Software Engineering, Computing within Limits, Computational Sustainability, Serious Games for Sustainability, and various other computing paradigms and subdisciplines. We also welcome applicants whose primary affiliation is outside computing (e.g., Environmental Justice, Earth System Science, Ecology, Urban Planning, Global Health) but whose research closely connects to informatics and computing.

The department is highly interdisciplinary with faculty backgrounds in anthropology, computer science, design, education, health informatics, humanities, media arts, organizational studies, psychology, and software engineering. Many areas of research in the Department of Informatics connect to sustainability. We seek a new colleague to catalyze the growing interest in the department in sustainability research, bring faculty and students together around critically important research questions, and build bridges between our department and other scholars across campus (e.g., in the departments of Earth System Science, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Urban Planning & Public Policy, Civil & Environmental Engineering, and Public Health, and the School of Law).

For twelve consecutive years UCI has been named a top 10 “Coolest School” by Sierra magazine for our innovative sustainable practices, with four first-place finishes in the US. UCI is also ranked as a top 10 public university by U.S. News and World Report, has been identified by The New York Times as No. 1 among U.S. universities that do the most for low-income students, and is No. 3 in the nation for diversity according to The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education. As a federally recognized minority-serving institution, UCI is designated as an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). UCI is a founding member of the Alliance of Hispanic Serving Research Universities, which has a goal of increasing by 20 percent the Hispanic professoriate in alliance universities. UCI also has a university-wide program specifically to support diverse faculty in their career success (UCI ADVANCE Program for Equity and Diversity).

Located in Orange County, UCI is 4 miles from the Pacific Ocean and 45 miles south of Los Angeles. Irvine is one of the safest communities in the U.S. and offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public school systems in the nation.

Next review date: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.

--

Bill Tomlinson
Professor and Vice Chair
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~wmt