Our Campus Dining Services Buying Locally

1 view

Josh

Aug 25, 2009, 6:30:35 PM8/25/09
to Sustainability in Catholic Higher Education
Hi Folks,

I'd like to share a story and start a conversation about how we might
strategize together. Please pass this on to others who are interested
in working on this issue and have them contact me. jd...@loyno.edu

At Loyola University, New Orleans, we approached our dining services,
run by Sodexo, about buying a portion of their produce from a local
organization which buys from local farmers and community gardens, the
Hollygrove Market & Farm. We'd heard the main obstacle in the past was
scale - campus dining just uses far more than most local farmers can
supply - so we suggested buying particular items that could be
supplied at the scale they need. The general manager was receptive and
said to contact their procurement manager who would simply have to
visit Hollygrove to ensure the quality of the facilities and produce.
Once that was complete, Hollygrove would actually be approved to sell
to any Sodexo account in the city (several universities and
hospitals!) Jackpot! or so we thought...

When we contacted the procurement manager, she gave a vary different
story. (It was not at all obstructionist, just very matter of fact.)
She said that they were bound in a contract with a producer for the
next two years. OK, understandable. She added that they could only buy
from Hollygrove if Hollygrove could provide all of the produce they
needed. Brick wall.

Well, I've never been one to believe much in insurmountable obstacles.
I generally believe it just takes some strategic organizing and
leveraging some power. Here's where we can work together. Sodexo has
some pretty progressive stuff in their PR on social responsibility and
even buying locally: http://sdxcampusservices.com/loyno/sustainability.shtml

Could we at Catholic schools (or perhaps with a focus on the Jesuit
network) join together in a campaign for Sodexo to buy from local
producers? Not just to say they are committed to it, but actually put
it into action? I think we can and I hope you will join me.

So let's strategize and organize together for sustainability and local
economic development.

Peace and All Good,
Josh Daly

Director, Loyola University Community Action Program and Ignacio
Volunteers
Loyola University, New Orleans
jd...@loyno.edu
(504) 865-2141