Backyard chickens

1 view

Robert J. Gunter

Aug 24, 2009, 10:27:35 AM8/24/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com

Greetings All,

I have heard some stirrings to change the local ordinances in Oak Ridge to allow raising of chickens for eggs.  I am strongly in favor of this and it leads right towards the slow food, locavore, sustainable image that Oak Ridge should present to attract new residents.  Here are some links you can check out and some comments.  What do you all think??

Here is a link that is helpful:  http://urbanchickens.org/chicken-ordinances-and-laws

Here is a thread on how to update your ordinances:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=37

Good article on a town that decided to allow raising of chickens.  It gives some great ideas on how to get this and other topics relevant to this list on the agenda and passed:  http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A287872

Here is the ordinance from Charlotte, NC.  I would eliminate f, and limit g to 4 chucks per yard (unless you have an oversized lot and request an exemption) – no roosters.  What matters is not whether it is close to someone’s property line, rather that the conditions are sanitary and that it does not stink, and it is not an eyesore.  If you are next to the property line, the definition of smelly is different than if 100 ft away.  At the end of the day, smelly is smelly.  Many ordinances allow 4-6 hens per yard, though some, like this one do more.  More allowed will present problems, so I think limiting to 4-6 is a good idea with the possibility of getting a permit for more for those with big yards (there are a few here in OR).  I would also eliminate “fly proof” and “double bagged” from e (too proscriptive).  This goes back to sanitary.

(1)   Fowl and other specifically identified animals.  The keeping of chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, geese, pheasants or other domestic fowl or rabbits shall be in compliance with the following:

a.   Such animals must be confined in a coop, fowl house or rabbit hutch not less than 18 inches in height. The fowl must be kept within the coop or fowl house and the rabbits in the hutch at all times.

b.   The coop or fowl house must be used for fowl only and the hutch for rabbits only, and both must be well ventilated.

c.   The coop, fowl house or hutch shall have a minimum of four square feet of floor area for each fowl or rabbit.

d.   The run must be well drained so there is no accumulation of moisture.

e.   The coop, fowl house or hutch shall be kept clean, sanitary and free from accumulation of animal excrement and objectionable odors. It shall be cleaned daily, and all droppings and body excretion shall be placed in a fly proof container and double-bagged in plastic bags.

f.   The coop, fowl house or hutch shall be a minimum of 25 feet from any property line.

g.   No more than 20 such fowl or rabbits shall be kept or maintained per acre. The number of fowl or rabbits should be proportionate to the acreage.