The mall wars

瀏覽次數:3 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Robert J Gunter

未讀,
2009年11月10日 下午3:42:552009/11/10
收件者:sustain-...@googlegroups.com

OK, I am not going to go off the deep end on this one.  Please bear with me.  We have a mall of around 500,000 sq ft smack dab in the middle of our town of ~25,000 individuals.  As part of the lease that brought us Walmart, no part of this mall can be used by a “competitor” of Walmart.  In the local area, there are two or 3 other “malls”.  It is apparent that Oak Ridge has lost the Mall war.  So I think we can safely say, that the OR mall will never again be a prototypical mall.  Also, since we lost out on the development that became Turkey Creek, we have lost that battle too.  “No Soup”er Target for YOU!

What to do.  Now we have an aggressive plan called the Oak Ridge City Center which is described here:

http://oakridgecitycenter.com/downtown-project.html

The problem is, that a town the size of OR is not likely to be able to pull off 450,000 sq ft of retail space as described therein.  At least not in what can be described as the foreseeable future.  There is too much competition for this sort of thing (westtown, turkey creek, easttown).  So, why not solve a lot of our “municipal” needs by moving it all into the mall.  For a fraction of what it would cost to build a preschool, the emory valley center, a senior center, and a school admin building, we could buy the mall (based on what the guy who owns it paid, and the current market value of big empty commercial space).  Inside this mall, we could move all the city services, the school administration, the preschool, the library, the Senior Center, etc.

The then vacated city properties can be sold off to whomever would buy them and used as commercial space.  The mall could be kept intact (roof on), providing an indoor play area for rainy and cold days.  Lots of area for people to walk, a city center that people would gravitate to for city services, and the unused space could be leased out to shops and café’s that would be drawn to the space by all the pedestrial traffic.  Maybe even-dare I say, a convention space….

In 30 years (for 30 years will come and go), when the other malls and shopping centers have become old hat, run down shells of what they were, perhaps we will build an admin building and open up the space for the Oak Ridge City Center plan.  Of course there is nothing in this plan that would stop city center development from continuing in all that land around the mall.

Jan Lyons

未讀,
2009年11月11日 上午9:24:092009/11/11
收件者:sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Considering how few things don’t compete with Walmart, the use of the mall site is essentially limited to non-profit functions like government and education (or maybe an auto service center or another hotel if someone can beat Walmart to those ideas).  Unfortunately, your hoped for café would probably also compete with Walmart – Panera Bread was almost forbidden.
City services would make good use of the mall space and allow the then surplus city properties to be sold for new tax revenue-producing ventures without having to worry about the Walmart restriction. Better to use this space constructively than to just let it slowly deteriorate and become an even bigger eyesore (like the Alexander Inn).

Julio Ibanez

未讀,
2009年11月11日 上午11:40:162009/11/11
收件者:Sustain Oak Ridge
Robert,

That's a very creative way around it! I don't know if anyone else
will go for it, but it's certainly better than the empty shell that's
sitting there now.

Also, how long's that stupid lease with WalMart? An alternate, more
cynical idea would be to put some waste processing center on that
site. Preferably right behind the Walmart and make them a little more
willing to leave or cooperate. :)

On Nov 11, 10:24 am, Jan Lyons <jlyons....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering how few things don¹t compete with Walmart, the use of the mall
> site is essentially limited to non-profit functions like government and
> education (or maybe an auto service center or another hotel if someone can
> beat Walmart to those ideas).  Unfortunately, your hoped for café would
> probably also compete with Walmart ­ Panera Bread was almost forbidden.
> City services would make good use of the mall space and allow the then
> surplus city properties to be sold for new tax revenue-producing ventures
> without having to worry about the Walmart restriction. Better to use this
> space constructively than to just let it slowly deteriorate and become an
> even bigger eyesore (like the Alexander Inn).
>
> > say, a convention spaceŠ.
>
> > In 30 years (for 30 years will come and go), when the other malls and shopping
> > centers have become old hat, run down shells of what they were, perhaps we
> > will build an admin building and open up the space for the Oak Ridge City
> > Center plan.  Of course there is nothing in this plan that would stop city
> > center development from continuing in all that land around the mall.- Hide quoted text -

lostscotsman

未讀,
2009年11月11日 中午12:41:522009/11/11
收件者:sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Or make any left hand turns into the Walmart lot a toll road, charge 50c per visit until a more equitable accommodation can be worked out.

Men marched asleep...

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Julio Ibanez <j.ibz....@gmail.com> wrote:

Robert J Gunter

未讀,
2009年11月13日 上午10:38:112009/11/13
收件者:sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Funny idea on waste processing. We do have lots of that around here. The lease is like 99 years. I do think moving all city services in there is a good idea. It is not like they have to stay there forever...

Orenv.