Short piece on local TV

1 view

orenv

Sep 30, 2009, 10:24:28 PM9/30/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
I saw some video being shot at Jackson Square by I think the bunch
from Channel 10. They were doing a piece on the revitilization of Oak
Ridge. Did anyone see it?

I have been reading the Oak Ridger online and am pleased to see that
there are some people here in Oak Ridge that are interested in
innovation in our humble town. With the issue of the Alexander Inn
near Jackson Sq getting some attention, people are starting to stand
up and be heard. Lets hope we can build on this beginning!

marshall brown

Sep 30, 2009, 11:30:13 PM9/30/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Amen.

kelly...@comcast.net

Oct 1, 2009, 10:59:53 AM10/1/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Saw it this a.m. on WBIR...good message, but they need some feet to carry the message.  Who's on board?  Kate Groover is heading the effort with Barbara Ferrell.  A big complaint is how early everyone closed, and how there was no music.  We had music for over a year sometimes every night of week, and were nominated for many awards for our quality venue.  Find another venue to take old Moondollars location or convince Big Ed's to do music is best effort at this point.

Kelly L. Ayers
Library Director
Oliver Springs Public Library
Oliver Springs, TN 37840
kelly...@comcast.net
www.oliverspringscity.com/library

Ellen Smith <smithellen@comcast.net>

Oct 1, 2009, 11:04:09 AM10/1/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com

Oct 9, 2009, 3:22:23 PM10/9/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a link to what you were reading?
--
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
-- Plutarch

bob_in_oakridge

Oct 10, 2009, 10:16:10 AM10/10/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
The Alexander Inn should be restored and converted into a museum.It
has more than enough area.Some of the rooms could be restored to their
WWII form.Make a restaurant in another part of the building.As for the
rest of the town Jackson Square would do well with a a Splash
Pad.Another thing is the band shell.This town is getting younger.Its
time to bring in more trendy bands.Don't misunderstand I am not
talking hardcore music but local bands.Just take a look at the Secret
City Festival and the music acts they bring in for that.From what I
have seen,its a huge draw.Obviously the band shell wouldnt work in the
winter but you have other indoor places where bands can play.One other
thing would be a year round flea market.I would think there is an old
warehouse that isn't being used on the east end of town off the
turnpike that could easily be converted for such a thing.I know that
many of the residents here want this to remain a small town.I couldnt
agree more with them,but at the same time the growth cannot be allowed
to stagnate.When it does the town dies.

Ellen Smith

Oct 10, 2009, 12:31:32 PM10/10/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Oak Ridge has an ample supply of museums. I'd prefer to see the
Alexander restored as a hospitality facility -- a commercial business.

The restaurant there was a pleasant and popular place to dine. In its
last years, the hotel part of the facility was in need of updating and
other renovations, but it still had a great location and a fascinating
history. I think that if the building can be restored (not to replicate
its old interior condition, but with up-to-date accommodations), it
would be attractive and interesting to a new generation of customers.

Like you, I'm not thrilled with the music choices for the Secret City
Festival, but the festival organizers seem to have concluded that
has-been performers and cover bands attract a bigger audience here than
they could get for the other acts available for similar prices.

This summer, the city (and the Oak Ridge Arts Council) started a free
concert series in the Bissell Park band shell on Friday evenings,
featuring a fairly diverse variety of area performers. I'm glad this
happened -- and that it is planned to continue next summer. If you
didn't attend this summer, make a point to find out about next year's
series. Although publicity was poor, the audiences were much smaller
than the paying crowds that attend Secret City Festival concerts -- I
think the festival organizers may be correct in their judgment about
audience interests.

Ellen Smith

Jan Lyons

Oct 10, 2009, 7:30:09 PM10/10/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the concerts in the park, once I found out about them (starting
with the next to the last one) I attended regularly. They were really nice.
Not sure why the city and the arts council thinks "everyone" knows about
their events - publicity is definitely a problem. Just a hint - I rely on
Anderson County Visions for what's happening in the area.

Regarding the Alexander inn - we need things that are economically viable,
not more demands on the public purse. And hopefully something with a decent
landlord-tenant relationship. What is it about Oak Ridge landlords and
their reaction to new businesses that actually seem to be thriving?

Ellen Smith

Oct 10, 2009, 7:51:54 PM10/10/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Publicity definitely was a problem for those concerts in the park. Joye
Montgomery of the Arts Council told me that some of the artist booking
wasn't finalized real far in advance, which hampered advance publicity.
Hopefully things will be set up earlier next year...

Regardless, if you're interested in this kind of thing, I recommend John
Huotari's "Secret City Go" website at http://www.secretcitygo.com/ --
you can "subscribe" there to get e-mail about new items posted on the
site.

Ellen Smith

bob_in_oakridge

Oct 11, 2009, 9:59:31 AM10/11/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
You misunderstood what I was saying about the Secret City Festival
Concerts.My point was they do draw large crowds.They are much more
mainstream type of music then what you get at the band shell in the
summer.While I appreciate the classical music it draws a narrow age
group to the area.Now I am not suggesting Rap groups,hard rock bands I
am talking about local bands that play contemporary music.As for the
Alexander Inn.With the larger chain motels and hotels already here the
Alexander Inn would never bring in the volume of business it would
need to survive. would never bring in enough revenue to survive.That
is why I suggested a restaurant in the building.

Ellen Smith

Oct 11, 2009, 2:52:01 PM10/11/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
When I mentioned Friday night concerts, I wasn't talking about the Oak
Ridge Community Band.

This summer's Friday night concerts featured area musicians performing
bluegrass, gospel, rock, blues, etc. For example, two of the concerts
that I attended were by "Slow Blind Hill" and "KnoxVegas."

Ellen Smith

kelly...@comcast.net

Oct 11, 2009, 4:10:23 PM10/11/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Group,

I would like some feedback.  There is a lot of talk of Oak Ridge's lack of music etc.  We had live music at least two nights a week if not more and got weak attendance overall, whereas sometimes we had huge crowds.  How is it that all these entertainment opportunities were going on (also Gourmet Cafe, Arts Council and many others) and no one knows?  We had radio, online, and other avenues of publicity and I know the other venues did as well.  We even were recognized in Knoxville contests for our venue.  Is it lack of knowledge more than lack of options?  I realize I'm opening a can of worms by asking for feedback but am curious what you all are looking for, because you had it as a community and then now that they have closed due to low support by community there is a request for it again.  I'm just confused.

Kelly L. Ayers
Owner/Operator
Moondollars Cafe & Bistro
705 Main Street

Oliver Springs, TN 37840
kelly...@comcast.net

Oct 12, 2009, 7:43:54 PM10/12/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
It seems that I,like many people here never heard about most of those
concerts.Even if they dont know the band that is playing at the very
least put it out there that there will be a concert.Put up signs like
they do for the Secret City Festival,at the main intersections.

bob_in_oakridge

Oct 12, 2009, 7:46:54 PM10/12/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
I will tell you from my situation that I work let during the week and
also have a child.So the only nights good for me and my wife are
Friday and Saturday.Publicity also needs to get out through more than
Visions magazine.

On Oct 11, 4:10 pm, kellyay...@comcast.net wrote:
> Group,
>
> I would like some feedback. There is a lot of talk of Oak Ridge's lack of music etc. We had live music at least two nights a week if not more and got weak attendance overall, whereas sometimes we had huge crowds. How is it that all these entertainment opportunities were going on (also Gourmet Cafe, Arts Council and many others) and no one knows? We had radio, online, and other avenues of publicity and I know the other venues did as well. We even were recognized in Knoxville contests for our venue. Is it lack of knowledge more than lack of options? I realize I'm opening a can of worms by asking for feedback but am curious what you all are looking for, because you had it as a community and then now that they have closed due to low support by community there is a request for it again. I'm just confused.
>
> Kelly L. Ayers
> Owner/Operator
> Moondollars Cafe & Bistro
> 705 Main Street
> Oliver Springs, TN 37840
> kellyay...@comcast.netwww.moondollarscafe.com

Robert J Gunter

Oct 13, 2009, 1:38:59 PM10/13/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com

I believe the proposed marina plans can be found on the city web site.

Robert J Gunter

Oct 13, 2009, 1:46:23 PM10/13/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
How is it possible that a building of the nature I am seeing appear before
my eyes is ALLOWED to be built on THE OAK RIDGE TURNPIKE!! I am talking
about the upcoming dollar store next to the Sonic on the East end. With
construction that will surely bring down the property value of Sonic..... A
metal building shell fitting for a trailer park! Across the street from
some fairly nice looking brick buildings.

The city is all worried about sign construction and seems to have allowed a
trailer park to appear on our turnpike. Are they trying to turn the east
end into Detroit????????????????????????????

I am quite frankly SHOCKED. I can see a building like this on wharehouse
road (and thought they would not even be permitted there), but on the
turnpike?????

What is up with that.

Orenv

bob_in_oakridge

Nov 3, 2009, 8:31:37 AM11/3/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
Not sure if you have looked at the store now that it is almost
finished,but it is a brick building and seems to fit well with the
rest of the buildings in the area.Have you looked at the strip mall
just across the street?It is just about devoid of businesses and is
less than aesthetically pleasing to the eye.Most of the east end of
town where the Dollar Store is located is anything but attractive.The
only buildings in that area that look good are the newer office
buildings.I would think there are much more urgent issues facing Oak
Ridge than what a Dollar Store looks like.

On Oct 13, 12:46 pm, "Robert J Gunter" <rjgun...@chpconsultants.com>

kelly...@comcast.net

Nov 3, 2009, 9:17:45 AM11/3/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, Bob.  But there are issues with owners of buildings.  When we were knowing that we'd have to move Moondollars, we looked all over town for real estate.  The restaurant there is somewhat clean inside, however the owner isn't really interested at all in renting.  She is a widow who doesn't want to mess with it, as I understand.  I believe that we should focus on the historical buildings that CAN be salvaged and urge not residential landlords, but also commercial landlords.  We continue to get hassled out in Oliver Springs by our former 90 year old landlord.  It apparently wasn't enough that we replaced his windows, his a/c units, his electrical, and his bathrooms.

Kelly L. Ayers
Library Director
Oliver Springs Public Library
Oliver Springs, TN 37840
kelly...@comcast.net

Nov 3, 2009, 4:14:22 PM11/3/09
to Sustain Oak Ridge
I am still unclear on what part of that building is "dumpy"?It is a
red brick building with a brown aluminum overhang.It looks like any
number of other buildings on the turnpike or for that matter on
Illinois.

On Nov 3, 2:06 pm, "Robert J Gunter" <rjgun...@chpconsultants.com>
wrote:
> On aesthetics of new buildings we will have to agree to disagree.  If we
> don't let the powers that be know we care, we will end up with what we
> deserve.  Those other buildings are a problem, but it is better to not
> compound the problem if it can be avoided.  It is better to make our voice
> heard so that others will not even consider cutting corners, or before long,
> everything is dumpy.
>
> Orenv.
>
> -----Original Message-----From:sustain-...@googlegroups.com

Robert J Gunter

Nov 4, 2009, 4:53:24 PM11/4/09
to sustain-...@googlegroups.com
Well, for one thing, I would hope at some point we will decide as a city to
require new buildings have some aesthetic quality. This one is not setting
any new beauty standards, but based on a lot of other buildings, about on
par. So it is marginal (gets a "C") in my opinion (don't we all have one),
but not a high point in OR architecture.

Orenv.