New action-oriented activist group forming

BobbyG

Jan 18, 2010, 10:20:08 PM1/18/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin
Katie Kloth returned from the failed Copenhagen15 summit with a
commitment to get some kind of action-oriented group going in this
area. I attended the first meeting of what she's calling "Eco-Action
Collective" although that name may be changed. First meeting
attracted nine young people, at or past the point of graduating from
higher education, plus this old geezer.

The group seems to want to focus on system change, aiming at pointing
out the failure of capitalism to be able to continue on any sort of
sustainable basis, and looking for alternative systems that could take
its place. Taking the slogan "System Change, not Climate Change" from
Klimaforum09 (the alternative climate summit also in Copenhagen), the
group seemed initially fairly much in tune on these points.

Initial meetings are either going to be action meetings, or more
discussion meetings (finding common ground on ideology etc.) It's not
aiming to be an on-campus group at all, but a community group. I urged
them to remain focused on youth, not just college but high school and
middle school if possible links can be made.

As I get notices of meetings upcoming I'll try to notify folks. I
think it's good to have another sustainability-oriented group in town,
in order to pose more radical solutions than perhaps a mainstream
sustainability organization is unable to do because of constraints
from institutions (and institutional baggage) with which people are
already associated. Perhaps various groups can co-endorse and work
together on action items in coalitions, as has always been common in
organizational work in my own personal history.

Just my 2 cents anyway,

Bobby G.