Ominous Outlook

Chris Malek

Mar 19, 2010, 10:41:59 AM3/19/10
to Sustain Central Wisconsin
From one of my favorite bloggers, Ilargi , at Automatic Earth:

We have a baby boomer generation that has just about all the money
that's left in our societies. Their children, though, have nothing.
Except for some hand-outs from their parents (I’m not talking
individuals here). Unemployment among young people in many countries
is downright scary, often in the 40%-50% range. No jobs, no money, no
prospects. In times and places throughout history, this has brought
populist dictators to the foreground, and pitchforks and torches into
the streets, and there is no reason why it won't now. Today's
political power is firmly in the hands of the 40-year and older crowd;
they have elected incumbent politicians, and more importantly, they
have the money and thus the power. The younger generation has no money
and no power, but they also have nothing left to lose.

BobbyG

Mar 19, 2010, 5:33:03 PM3/19/10

On Mar 19, 9:41 am, Chris Malek <chrisjma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From one of my favorite bloggers, Ilargi , at Automatic Earth:
>
> We have a baby boomer generation that has just about all the money
> that's left in our societies.

Even worse news...

Many of us baby boomers, and I'm in that number, have just about none
of that money from that "all of that money" pool said to belong to my
generation.

Many of the recent college grads I know will now begin their working
life with a deeply, deeply negative net worth.

This is what's different about today's "20-something's" than my gen's
"20-somethings." Yes, we were footloose, very job-mobile, and able to
start grand community-building projects all over the country like Twin
Oaks, or Gaskin's "The Farm" in Tennessee. But there were no $20,000
student loans and piles of credit card bills hanging over us as we
felt free to move about the country.

So, as you're hanging out, chatting with some folks you know in their
20's, try to get a feel for just how high a stress level they must be
living with at this time in history. Not all of them, but a lot of
them.

I feel I owe it to the next gen's to help them find a way to survive
this futuremess we're setting up for them.

bobby g.