STC Upcoming Events (week 7)

Stop the Cuts

Feb 20, 2010, 8:15:36 AM2/20/10
to sussex-stopth...@googlegroups.com, sussex-st...@googlegroups.com

Lobby to 'Save Our Nurseries'

Date: Monday, 22nd February

Time: 07h30-08h30

Location: Mithras House, University of Brighton, Lewes Rd (opposite B&Q)

There is going to be a lobby outside Mithras House (University of Brighton, Lewes Rd... opposite B&Q) at 7:30am on Monday morning 22nd February. This is a gathering of people showing their support for the nurseries. The Board of Governors are having a meeting in Mithras House at 8am. This is our opportunity to show just... how much support the nurseries have. We will have badges, banners etc. Lobby will finish at 8am when the meeting starts. The more the merrier!

WE LOVE OUR NURSERIES!!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=310952623113

Stop the Cuts Workshop with Seeds for Change

Date: Wednesday, 24th February

Time: 13h00-14h45 & 15h00-16h45

Location: Russell Building, Sussex University

'Seeds for Change' works together with activists and campaigners in the UK to help them organise for action and positive social change.

They will be running two workshops for the Stop the Cuts campaign:
- Organising Creative Events and Actions 13h00-14h45 (RB 34)
- Using the Media to Communicate your Message 15h00-16h45 (RB 27)

All welcome to come and learn and build our campaign!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=318723526645

STRIKE - an open meeting with Staff and Students

Date: Wednesday, 24th February

Time: 17h00-18h30

Location: JMS 1A1, Sussex University

Members of the UCU are currently balloting for Strike. This is in the face of 115 compulsory redundancies and a refusal from Sussex management to accept the union's Unique Solution.

Strike action is a powerful tool in our fight against the cuts to staff and education. However, it is not an easy mechanism to employ in many aspects.

The Save Life Science campaign have organised an open meeting for staff and students to address issues regarding the strike. There will be speakers from the UCU and from students in Life Science.

If you know of any other appropriate speakers, especially staff, please email lifes...@googlegroups.com

1:15 Rally

Date: Thursday, 25th February

Time: 13h15-14h30

Location: Library Square

Higher education funding cuts have been announced all over the country. At Sussex alone, 115 people are due to be made redundant if management's proposals go through.

So we've arranged (ha ha, see what I did there?) an event in typical Sussex style.

The rules are simple:

1. At 13:00pm, musicians, singers, and noise-makers alike will gather at library square.
2. At 1:15pm, we will "musically respond" (improvise on instruments, bang saucepans, scat, rap....you name it!) to speakers that will describe the proposed cuts at Sussex and across the country for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3. There will be a demonstration at 2.30 to oppose the cuts.
4. The university will withdraw their proposals...(or we can at least raise awareness of the campaign).

Tea will be available for all participants and you are free to play for as long or as little as you like.

Let's DRUM up support for the Stop the Cuts Campaign and make this as massive and as loud as we can. See you there!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=305635531900

STOP THE CUTS! START THE STRIKES!

Strike Back Thursday - Sussex: Balloting for Strike - Leeds: First Day of Strikes

Demonstration

Date: Thursday, 25th February

Time: 14h30-16h00

Location: Library Square

STOP THE CUTS! START THE STRIKES!

THURSDAY 25th FEBRUARY 2010 - STRIKE BACK THURSDAY

SUSSEX: BALLOTING FOR STRIKE

LEEDS: FIRST DAY OF STRIKE

DEMONSTRATE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR STRIKES AGAINST EDUCATION CUTS!

Join Sussex Stop the Cuts as we chant "START THE STRIKES!" in solidarity with our lecturers who are balloting for strike action and Leeds UCU who are starting their first day of planned strikes against 700 job losses at their university.

We need our lecturers to vote "Yes" in the strike ballot. At Tower Hamlets College in East London all-out indefinite strike action stopped the cuts, that is the tactic which is proven to work.

The fight to save jobs at Sussex and Leeds is the same battle. We are defending our education from government's attempt to make ordinary people pay for the economic crisis through cuts in public services. We need a coordinated national fight back to stop the cuts. This demonstration is a step in towards building those links.

The demo will assemble at Library Square and march onto Sussex House for a rally addressed by speakers.

EVERYBODY WELCOME. INVITE ALL OF YOUR UNI. SUSSEX FRIENDS TO THIS EVENT.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=363035455040

Take Back Education

Join the teach-in to build the resistance

Date: Saturday, 27th February

Time: 11h00-16h00

Location: King’s College, London

Education is under attack. Up to a third of university funding - £2.5bn - is to be cut, 30 universities could shut down and over 14,000 lecturers may lose their jobs.

Big businesses exert more and more control over the university system. Cuts in student places and higher fees could exclude many people from higher education altogether.

But it doesn't have to be this way. Education workers are lobbying for strike action, following the victory at Tower Hamlets College. Students are protesting across Europe, organising occupations to stop neo-liberal reforms - and taking control of campuses for another kind of education.

This February we will be hosting a day of alternative lectures and tutorials in King's College London to bring together staff and students to celebrate what education could be - and to prepare for the battles ahead.

Initial line up includes:
literary critic Terry Eagleton + poet and education campaigner Michael Rosen + lecturer and radical theorist Alex Callinicos + Justice for Cleaners Juan Carlos Piedra + activists from Ireland and Austria + education workers who have led successful strikes + voices from students and campaigns around the country + other speakers to be announced.

Alternative lectures and tutorials include:
The crisis in our universities and the battle for education + Education for liberation - what could our education look like? + The corporate takeover of our universities + How do we fight for free education? + Building fighting unions + Education for all - challenging Islamophobia, racism and the points based immigration system + The tasks ahead - building resistance that can win.

http://www.educationactionlondon.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=285147785052&ref=mf

If Cameron Gets Up Your Nose... Picket the Tory Spring Conference

called by the RIGHT TO WORK campaign

Date: Sunday, 28th February

Time: 11h00-14h00

Location: Hilton Metropole, Brighton Seafront, Kings Rd, Brighton

*Fight for every job
*Organise to stop the cuts
*Defend services and pensions
*Demand a million green jobs
*Jobs not bombs
*Defend migrant workers - jobs for all

Join the Sussex Stop the Cuts procession at the demonstration outside the Conservative Party conference in Brighton.

The cuts we are currently facing at Sussex have been launched nationally by a Labour government cutting back the higher education budget in the months before the general election. If after the elections we have Cameron's Conservative government in power, which looks increasingly likely, we will be facing even more savage cuts to public services and education.

Sussex and Brighton universities are lucky to be hosting the Tory conference in our town. This will be an excellent opportunity to tell Cameron and the Tories exactly what we think of them...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=318210719696