[QUAD]Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (Harvest Q8-SHVL 781) Quad 24-bit/96kHz FLACs

Stephen Disney

Mar 18, 2010, 4:53:09 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fantastic!  Just wanted to make sure everyone has a copy...

http://avaxhome.ws/music/rock/pink_floyd_atom_heart_mother_quadraphonic.html

Lokkerman

Mar 18, 2010, 5:52:10 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
There  is in fact another Q8 rip living on the noid somewhere. For hubbers it's in my share. Look for the title POTS something or other (sorry not near my file system). This was done in 96/16. I've not had the time to compare the two but may do very shortly.
Great this is - it appears to have rekindled everyone's desire to get the old catalogs out. Jus could do with a new official Hi-Res version of these masterpieces.

Lokkerman

Mar 18, 2010, 6:28:14 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Wow the plot thickens

The one I referred to is this:
POTWDVDA001 Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix

Here's the write up:
POTWDVDA001 - Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix

This is the first installment of the POTW DVD-Audio series. This series was created for archiving rare quad mixes that are out of print and no longer available.

The Atom Heart Mother quad mix is available on LP in SQ, CD-4 and RM quad schemes. While vinyl can sound extremely good, only the UK 8 track release contains a discrete quad mix. This means each speaker has the proper mix of instruments and vocals just as it was mixed by the engineer in the studio instead of a decoder guessing where each sound goes via a matrixed system.

The process I used to archive this 8 track tape is very involving.
Lineage of equipment and software is as follows:

UK Quad 8 track tape > Akai CR80DSS Quad 8 track deck > Teac 3340S Quad reel to reel (to use as a 4 channel preamp) > Tascam DA-88 8 track digital tape recorder > TDIF cable > M-audio Delta TDIF sound card > Cool Edit Pro 2.1.

Noise reduction was done to remove the hiss of the tape and the noise of the rather old electronics of the quad 8 track deck.

For the DVD-Audio portion you have a 16/96 lossless MLP 4.0 track.
For the DVD-Video portion you have a choice of 4.0 Dolby Digital or 4.0 DTS. The DTS track is preferable due to the higher bitrate used.

Tracks:

1. If
2. Summer '68
3. Fat Old Sun
4. The Atom Heart Mother Suite
5. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

Now the one I have on my music server is 2.22GB in FLAC, which I think is the Audio spectrum release which is still on the 'noid.

So now it looks like we may have 3 versions of the Q8... phew :P

BTW the POTS version has the sides inverted so B plays before A

Grill - Happy Hunting with this one

Lokks

Stephen Disney

Mar 18, 2010, 6:35:00 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

Lokkerman

Mar 18, 2010, 6:46:22 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
yep that's it.. :-)

elshagon

Mar 18, 2010, 8:04:27 PM3/18/10
to SurroundSound
So the one on the noid is the same as the avax one? I'd rather get it
there or from the hub as Avax website sometimes is riddled with
viruses. With these different quad releases, any thoughts on which is
best?

On Mar 18, 3:46 pm, Lokkerman <phil.steep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yep that's it.. :-)
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Stephen Disney

> <sthunderroc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > He is a member.  His wares...
> >http://www.demonoid.com/files/?uid=5389132&seeded=2
>

> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Lokkerman <phil.steep...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Wow the plot thickens
>
> >> The one I referred to is this:
> >> POTWDVDA001 Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix
>
> >> Here's the write up:

> >> *POTWDVDA001 - Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix

> >> This is the first installment of the POTW DVD-Audio series. This series
> >> was created for archiving rare quad mixes that are out of print and no
> >> longer available.
>
> >> The Atom Heart Mother quad mix is available on LP in SQ, CD-4 and RM quad
> >> schemes. While vinyl can sound extremely good, only the UK 8 track release
> >> contains a discrete quad mix. This means each speaker has the proper mix of
> >> instruments and vocals just as it was mixed by the engineer in the studio
> >> instead of a decoder guessing where each sound goes via a matrixed system.
>
> >> The process I used to archive this 8 track tape is very involving.
> >> Lineage of equipment and software is as follows:
>
> >> UK Quad 8 track tape > Akai CR80DSS Quad 8 track deck > Teac 3340S Quad
> >> reel to reel (to use as a 4 channel preamp) > Tascam DA-88 8 track digital
> >> tape recorder > TDIF cable > M-audio Delta TDIF sound card > Cool Edit Pro
> >> 2.1.
>
> >> Noise reduction was done to remove the hiss of the tape and the noise of
> >> the rather old electronics of the quad 8 track deck.
>
> >> For the DVD-Audio portion you have a 16/96 lossless MLP 4.0 track.
> >> For the DVD-Video portion you have a choice of 4.0 Dolby Digital or 4.0
> >> DTS. The DTS track is preferable due to the higher bitrate used.
>
> >> Tracks:
>
> >> 1. If
> >> 2. Summer '68
> >> 3. Fat Old Sun
> >> 4. The Atom Heart Mother Suite

> >> 5. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast*

> >> Now the one I have on my music server is 2.22GB in FLAC, which I think is
> >> the Audio spectrum release which is still on the 'noid.
>
> >> So now it looks like we may have 3 versions of the Q8... phew :P
>
> >> BTW the POTS version has the sides inverted so B plays before A
>
> >> Grill - Happy Hunting with this one
>
> >> Lokks

> > ME" as the subject.- Hide quoted text -

Stephen Disney

Mar 18, 2010, 9:46:21 PM3/18/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
I believe the one that Lokkerman had from the noid is on the hub.  He didn't specify as to the one I found on Avax.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to surroundsound+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Lokkerman

Mar 19, 2010, 4:18:50 AM3/19/10
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there are three
The POTW I referred to.
The AVAX one which Insania posted on the hub.
And the Audio Spectrum one which looks like it's still on the 'Noid
Sorry for late reply - timezones and sleep :)

yorama

Mar 19, 2010, 9:04:49 AM3/19/10
to SurroundSound
Thanks for the link, I downloaded the flacs and compared them with
other AHM versions that I have (I do not have the POTW version though
it may have at some point passed my). The Audio Spectrum version works
best for me (24/96), it is the most discreet and well ripped. For most
Q8s I typically use some moderate sound enhancement on my receiver,
with this AS version I use direct playback with no processing, sweet.