Halogen bulbs for UHV

Brandon McClimon

Aug 25, 2020, 11:43:55 AM8/25/20
to Surface Science
Hi all,

I need to replace some halogen 24V 150W GY6.35 bulbs in our XPS monochromator to hold the crystal temperature stable.  The vendor says they special order bulbs that are sure not to contaminate the chamber, so some markup makes sense, but including shipping the bulbs are >$100 each.  Is this a reasonable price for such bulbs?  I know halogen bulbs are used widely in UHV e.g. for bakeout.  Is there a source for such specialized bulbs that is widely used by the community? Or do people just buy standard halogens which seem to be universally <$10 each and sonicate them in acetone/IPA before using.

I'm not seeing anything at Lesker or Duniway, so perhaps the very specialized and expensive bulb is the way to go.

Thanks,
Brandon McClimon

Scott L Anderson

Aug 25, 2020, 11:59:02 AM8/25/20
to surface...@googlegroups.com

We used to use T3 (~4” long) bulbs bought at the local hardware store in vacuum for heating.  I quit only because students would sometimes run them too hot, and parts near the lamp without good thermal conductivity to the chamber walls would get way too hot.

We just wiped them down with 95% ethanol.

Scott

Scott L. Anderson

Dist. Prof. and Henry Eyring Endowed Chair

Chemistry Dept./University of Utah

315 S 1400 E, Salt Lake City, UT  84112

Navrotski, Gary

Aug 25, 2020, 12:26:58 PM8/25/20
to surface...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brandon,

I agree with Scott Anderson.  I’ve used the commercial G8 and GY8 style of quartz halogen bulbs from the hardware store in UHV for years.  I’ve run them under full power for hundreds of hours.  They give off a tremendous amount of heat if you put the full 110V on them so put a Variac® power regulator on them.

Of course, never touch quartz with your fingers.  You can clean them with standard solvents before putting them in vacuum.

I have use IR heaters (Huntington Labs) and UV lamps (RBD Instruments) for bake-out but not the SpinLamp-300 halogen light sources.

Best,

Gary

═══════════════════════════════════

ANL_RGB-01-2_in_wideAPS-tiny

═══════════════════════════════════

Gary Navrotski, P.E., Ph.D.                Navr...@anl.gov

X-ray Science Division - Beamline Instrumentation Group

Advanced Photon Source                  Office:  401-B3200

Argonne National Laboratory           calendar link

9700 South Cass Avenue                   Ph:    (630)252-7576

Lemont, IL 60439-4801                     Fax:  (630)252-9350

═══════════════════════════════════

Kasala Prabakerreddy

Aug 25, 2020, 12:26:58 PM8/25/20
to surface...@googlegroups.com
Dear Branden,
Once I changed the halogen bulbs for my system X-ray monochromator. According to the system supplier suggestion, I purchased them through online Amazon store in India and it was not that expensive like as you mentioned. Probably I spent around or less than 30 USD for set of halogen. It's been more than 3 years and working fine.

Following link is for the halogens, which I purchased online last time.

Regards
Dr. Prabhakar Reddy
Post doctoral fellow
KAIST
South Korea

Brandon McClimon

Aug 25, 2020, 2:46:52 PM8/25/20
to Surface Science
Thank you all.  This is very helpful advice. The one Prabhakar mentions is almost a perfect match, and it would be good to a get a model someone can vouch for, but the pin diameter is slightly different (G vs GY) but I'll pick something very similar.  I'll probably update this thread down the line with the model number I choose and whether it all worked out. The lack of user horror stories from using standard halogen bulbs makes me think this will be fine.

Also, maybe it would have been better to just extend this earlier thread on basically the same topic rather than start a new one: https://groups.google.com/g/surfacescience/c/5vrV0Aou_OU

Best,
Brandon

PAN Ji Sheng

Aug 26, 2020, 8:58:00 AM8/26/20
to surface...@googlegroups.com

Dear Prabhakar,

I also use halogen bulbs to heat crystals of my X-ray monochromator. I found that the nominal lifetime of this halogen bulb is only 50 h mentioned in its manual. I wonder why you can use so long time, for us it was broken within one year.

Do you always keep the lamp on all time or just turn on it before running XPS? If it was turned on before XPS measurement how long is the warming up time?

Best regards,

Jisheng

This e-mail and any attachments are only for the use of the intended recipient and may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or protected by the Official Secrets Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it or notify the sender immediately. Please do not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person.

Kasala Prabakerreddy

Aug 26, 2020, 11:06:10 AM8/26/20
to surface...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jisheng,
I switch off every time after finishing my experiments. It takes around 15-20 min, to reach the temperature and get stabilized at 55 deg.

Regards
Prabhakar Reddy

Brandon McClimon

Oct 8, 2020, 11:14:05 AM10/8/20
to Surface Science
Hi all,

Quick followup to this post.  I purchased these bulbs: https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/osram-sylvania-64465-150w-24v-gy6-35-base-halogen-halostar-light-bulb So far so good, but probably only about 20hrs of running time so far at ~60% of rated power.  They claim 2000 hrs lifespan. I doubt I'll see that, but as long as they last 1.5-2 yrs in moderate useage like the OEM bulbs, I'll be happy.

Best,
Brandon