interferences.

Petra Reinke

May 19, 2021, 4:05:10 PM5/19/21
to surface...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,
we are having a discussion in the department about interference between STM and XPS instruments and some recently acquired heavy machinery.

Both machinery is within 6-10 m of our STM and XPS instruments. We have seen a spike in our XPS with a decay function shape from the LECO sometimes, and that would certainly mess up our spectra. For the STM we can't keep the heating cables on the manipulator attached without seeing interference dominated images - yes, that does not bode well and has been an issue for year even before these other machines were acquired by my colleagues.

One of them is a LECO instrument, which uses a current pulse with a max. load of 7500W to melt alloys - company has told us the magnetic fields would be low at 6-10 m (distance to our instrument). The other one is a cutting tool which runs with a 200V/50 A peak current, info from the technician is that it only distorts cell phones if you stand within a meter. The latter does not seem a quantitative measure to me.

So I am hoping some of you have experience with comparable challenges, and can tell your stories (I am also hoping that you tell me that it is no issue... ).

best, Petra

--
Petra Reinke

Professor
University of Virginia

David Wieliczka

May 19, 2021, 6:58:16 PM5/19/21
to surface...@googlegroups.com
Petra

Your two new instruments appear to be high current devices.  See if the are operating on the same circuit as the STM and XPS system.  You may be having a loading issue on the main power.

Dave

Petra Reinke

May 19, 2021, 7:23:15 PM5/19/21
to surface...@googlegroups.com
David - very interesting. I will check it out.
best, Petra